GB GONE

Laminate sticks vs color tipped sticks???

I was having this discussion with another TU member (Joel) this past weekend and have been thinking about it ever since.

When fishing, do you use a laminate or color tipped stick?? If you prefer one or the other why??

Also, what are you fish-catching experiences with either/both???

Jim

I was talking to a customer yesterday about this. He is requesting a lami stick in a certain color. Said the fish are slaying them. He saw the logic in the tipped stick, and had good luck with them before, but the lami was working better in this color combo this particular tournament.

So, looks like lamis are in my future.

Logically, a tipped senko would be easier for a fish to see the contrast in colors. It can be viewed from any angle. A laminated stick would only be seen from 2 angles of, say, 45 degrees of center each way. So that's about 180 degrees that the fish can't see the laminate!

But, no arguing with success! :D

I fish sticks with a colored tail about 75% of the time. Mainly ones with a chartreuse tail. I don't have a preference between solid or laminates. But i want to try pouring some laminates as soon as i get more plastic, so maybe that will change.

I have fished both the laminates and the tipped stick baits. I like the ones with a chartreuse tail. I do a poor imitation of Al's color Hell Fire in a stick bait. It works. Sometimes I can catch fish with that when nothing else works. Like right after a cold front.

Cal

Tipped stick's are killer baits! They make for good trigger colors, like smoke sparkle or black with chartreuse tail. And pumpkin or green pumpkin with amber, orange, or red tail. If you don't have some of these in your boat, then your probably missing out. Some days they just work better than anything else, atleast in my experience!

You can dip it into liquid color but it seems much better to have the bait poured that way.

The colors are more true and seem to really work well when other baits just aren't cutting it.

I poured up some Junebug/chartreuse tonight and will post a picture if I get time. I just didn't have time to do the sticks, I did some beavers, z-liz and 7" worms...

Jim

Posted a split tail and z-liz. I am going to do some sticks as I see that tiki sticks are in a lot of "tipped" colors.

The watermelon green/chartreuse tip looks good. I'm thinking about some smoke pearl blue/red (or red-orange) tip...Especially with the bass foraging on baby bluegill right now!!!

Should be killer!!!

Question about tipped stick baits. If I use a 2 piece del mold, and I pour one color for the tail, how long should it sit before I add the top color? I am pondering moving up in the difficulty levels of pouring. I want to pour tipped and laminates. Thanks. Saint.

Hey Saint...not sure how others do it but I just go down my mold and each hole count to 5 pouring (Thanks Joel!!!)...then go back to the first hole and finish the stick..

Seems to make a decent size tip and pretty consistant in color. The "parts" will fuse together no problem without blending.

Jim

GABassNerd: Hate to keep asking questions, but I ran into a problem today pouring tipped sticks. I poured the tip, and then poured the rest. Once I opened my mold there was a line going down the bait the same color as my tip. I realized while I was pouring the tip it was running down the side of the mold to the bottom. Is there a way to prevent this? I do not think my hands are steady enough to be able to pour straight down and not touch the sides. Thanks. Saint.

P.S. Once I got frustrated pouring tips I tried some laminates for the first time. I think they came out decent for my first try. I will post some pics tomorrow. Thanks again everyone.

The tails aren't the only thing that can have a different color. To make my salted sticks more resilient, I pour the soft, salted body first and then the rest with clear plastic with hardener in it.

To get a pure, bright, colored tip, I dip it in Spike It or Color Rite dye. I don't know if it makes much difference since color to me falls into a few basics: opaque/dark; translucent/bright; laminated bright/bright or bright/dark; tipped; florescent colors with black or bright flakes.

In the last 2 months, just about every color has caught fish except an oxblood/ cream laminate. Roadkill, florescent green, green pumpkin/ violet-green flakes; watermelon/red-black flake; chartreuse/gold hologram and chartreuse/violet-black string-marigold, are all the colors I need. Bubblegum worked best in clear water, around the spawn.

Practice is the only cure for the color down the side. You are correct in that if you don't pour straight into the hole, one side will have a streak down it.

BTW...some of the best producing sticks I have ever poured had a black streak down the side. Smoke blue pearl with the black line gave a great shad looking bait with the appearance of a lateral line in the stick.

That was when I was first starting to pour, now I can hardly make myself pour down the side :D !!!

Jim

I have had excellent luck with watermelon red sticks with a chartruse tip. I do what Jim said and I pour in middle of cavity for 5 secs then I take my mold apart to make sure nothing dripped on the sides and put it back together and top it off with watermelon. I have even trimmed tips if I feel they are too long. Make sure you heat up your mold before doing this. As long as the mold is fairly warm the tip sticks fine to the stick. I don't use any salt or scent in my chartreuse tip.

Scott

Years ago I found that if the head of a plastic worm is a different color, a bass just nipping at it, or striking short would more likely take it head first and thus get the hook. I poured and used "blackhead" worms. I even drilled a couple of dimples into a resin mold and put a drop of white die in them before I poured the head. (eyes)

I accomplished it by tipping the mold head down and pouring about a third of a worm in black. Then I would trim the head to the length I wanted with about a 60 degree slant to the cut. I would put the black head back into the mold and pour the body with a different color, starting at the head end, pouring slowly, and letting the hot plastic slide across the slanted cut on the head until it fused, then pour the rest of the body. I got a perfect weld every time.

I had a color I called "purple chocolate", made by adding a couple of drops of opaque yellow color to a purple recipe. It would change color with the light. One day my friend Dave and I were fishing sand weeds in 5 feet of clear water with these worms, I had blackheads and he had plain worms. A front came through, and the fish started hitting frequently but lightly. Dave missed 5, and I boated 5.

I think that is why a "road kill" blotch near the front of a Texas rigged worm is so effective.

jm

• Like 1

Well I reckon if someone did post an offensive picture here, the moderators could just remove it and revoke the persons membership. Has this happened in the past here? What would be someone's motive for posting an offensive picture? Some kind of radical PETA fanatic trying to impress his friends?