Booger

how to make lures track true?

I purchased 400 lures,the shape is exactly what we need. but the lure floats instead of sinks. It is a lipless crank similar to rattle trap or rattlin rapala. When pulled through the water they turn and come to the surface. :censored:

How can I fix them, with out jury rigging them, so we are still able to sell them?

If you have 400 of them then I would cut one in half and see how the sucker is put together. I would think that brass BBs would do the trick. You will have to drill a hole and count how many BBs it will take to get it to run correctly. Then epoxy the hole. I would then repaint the lure. You could add weight to the front. But that is why the belly hook hanger is toward the front of the bait. It is so the weight from the front hook will give the bait a forward lean as you crank it.

Skeeter

Are you testing them with hooks on or off? the picture dosen't show any hooks on the bait. I am wondering if the weight of the hooks & split-rings is enough to make them sit upright?

That was my thought too. The other question is, if you bought 400 baits that don't track right, why not return them?

Andrew

thank you for the info. They were tested with the hooks on and a few of the guys useing them have tweeked the bottom hook right or left to get them to run straight. since they do float, I like the idea of cutting one then adding bbs, that will give it more rattle also.

I think you saved my bacon. :D

I thought so. Glad it all worked out. You will still need to check and see how they run after you have finished one. Drill hole as small as you can, insert the BBs and seal the hole with Devcon 5 min. epoxy. If you want you can mix a little paint of the same color into the devcon as you mix it. Then when it is applied to the hole, it will seal it and the hole and not show as much.

Skeeter

I have made a few crankbaits and have done alittle bit of work on them also. I just made a lucky guess. Glad it was a good one. :wink: You need to keep track of how many BBs went where. Then just duplicate that on the rest of them if they are all the same.

Skeeter B)