SeminoleFan

Crankbait bodies

After several days of trying my patience on finishing crankbaits, ( I found a bunch of Rebel Crank-r's for .99 cent a piece, stripped them and repainted them with spray paint, finished with devcon and I was amazed..)

Now, that I have practiced painting and seeing if it was for me Im hooked. Now heres my question,

Where can I get good quality wooden crankbait bodies? Do Most of you make your own? I know I can get plastic crankbait bodies from Janns, but I would like to have some wooden ones too.

Thanks Guys !

Rick

SeminoleFan

Hi Seminole Fan, well I started out just like you did. I got a couple dozen plastic baits from Jann's Netcraft. The paint jobs turned out quite well and I too was hooked. I am now making my own bodies from wood as they are much more enjoyable to know you actually made the body and painted it and then when you get that first fish. Just Awesome. I guess the first one is the hardest because you really don't know for sure what you want. Once you get one done and it works, look out. Those wheels start turning and you get all kinds of ideas. The more you make the more ideas you come up with. It is a good idea to keep some notes in case you want to make more than one. Give it a try and if I can be of any help, just ask away. :D Ken schmitz Mylures

Hey SeminoleFan, the balsa/cedar cranks are coming well.

I posted a pic in gallery awhile back of finished bait.

I have now almost finshed 4 more and have 4 more in the making.

Will post some more pics when done.

What I really like about it is the different body designs you

can make with the same cut out. I am working on 2 now

that are tapered from the top to the outer edge and flat underneath and

roundded from front to back. Kinda resembles The head of a Cobra.

Thats what I call it, my Cobra Bait.

The action on the first one was a nice tight wiggle and an almost vertical dive. I was very pleased.

Coley

Jerry' date='

Any idea when the Duplicator plans will be finished.. Im growing very anxious....[/quote']

Still workin on em as I find time,

I'm actually leaning towards a prefabbed metal version. At first thought it would seem a metal version would be more complicated to build, but in actuality you save alot of material cause you dont have to beef up so many parts.

it is coming along, I think I'll still offer the wooden version too.

sourcing parts is the biggest headache, which is why I might just make the machines instead of plans.