allstate48

cutting out patterns

I buy the balsa and basswood to the thickness that I want at a hobby store. Usually 3/8 or 1/2" thick. I take a pice of Lexan or plexiglass and make a template of the bait and trace out multiple patterns of the bait on the wood. It usaully comes in 36" lengths. After I trace out the baits I rough cut them on a bandsaw and then either sand them by hand to the outline I drew or I use a belt sander and take the profile down pretty close to where I want it and then hand sand to the exact size I want. This is for flat baits. Round ones are not done the same way. If you figure out how to make the Bagley type please let me know. Squigster

I buy balsa blocks 3" x 3" x 6", I draw my pattern on one

side and cut the block shown and then slice it off to whatever

thickness I want.

Just besure blade and table are as close to a perfect 90 deg angle

as you can get it.

Coley

I am sorry, no matter how small I make the picture, I can't get it to post :censored:

Go here to see pic. http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2669&highlight=bulk+cut

squigster, you make a round bait by tracing out the profile on one side of the block of wood, and then the other dimension of the bait (looked at from top or bottom) on the top (or bottom) of the block of wood. Cut out the profile, and as others here have told me, the lip slot. Then use some masking tape to retape the pieces of the block of wood back together. Then do your other cut, and you've got a 3-D cut bait. I use a Dremel to sand it down from there, but recently bought a belt sander (works great for lips), so I may see how that works.

On more tip: I've got this tool, not sure what it is called, but it is for carpenters to trace out odd shapes. It is roughly 40 or 50 metal pins run through a piece of solid plastic. The pins move independent of each other, sliding through the plastic, as you apply pressure, allowing you to push it against a 3-D object (like a round lure) and create a single curved line which you can trace.