Sign in to follow this  
cavu

Internal vs External Antenna

I have always used an external antenna on a GPS, both for aviation and boating. Now I see a lot of marine GPS's advertised with an internal antenna. Do they receive as well as an external one.

All I use is the internal antenna and don't have any problem with reception at all. Use one both in my truck and boat. I use a Lowrance I finder in my truck and the H2O in my boat.

Hey, I have both on my boat, built in antenna on the front and external antenna on the console. I don't see any difference between them. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Funny thing about GPS systems..They are so advanced that manufacturers actually have to limit their abilities. This is to prevent them from being used for the wrong reasons. I have a little Etrex and love it! It's a tiny little unit with a antenna built in. Does just as good as some of the larger,more expensive units..Just doesn't work as well if under cover; like inside my truck.