deadlystreamer

Tying a popper with buck tail.

01.jpg

1.) When working with deer tail, the hair closest to the butt end of the tail will be the hollow hair. Use the hair depending on what you're making, Finer hair towards and to the end of the tail.

1.jpg

02.jpg

2.) Always pull, flip, or clean out all the loose hair and stubble from the cut piece of hair. When tying, you want to secure the hair to the hook to stay, with that lose stuff in there it'll come lose every time.

2.jpg

03.jpg

3.) I have already wrapped the hook with the thread and dabbed lacquer on the thread. I also like to dab a little clear lacquer into the hair where I'm securing it to the hook. Pulling it tight and letting the hair flare up at will. At this point some one might use hackle pliers, I just pop a half hitch there to secure the thread.

3.jpg

04.jpg

4.) For this particular pattern I separate the hair and wrap around it to create two separate little doohickeys that the fish think are two chunky little legs. LOL

4.jpg

05.jpg

5.) Once again a dab of lacquer here covering the threads.

5.jpg

06.jpg

6.) This particular popper will get the legs cut short.

6.jpg

07.jpg

There are many ways to dress a popper or bass bait. This is just one of many variations.

7.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet!

I tie a lot of jigs and the techniques are the same as fly tying. Bucktail is something I haven't used much of, but it looks like a good material. Do you ever use calf tail? I hear that it "flows" a little better than bucktail.

Maybe I'll have to post a tutorial for my "Fat Albert" jig. It's made with marabou + a rabbit strip (zonker) and it's deadly on crappie. :teef:

Sweet!

I tie a lot of jigs and the techniques are the same as fly tying. Bucktail is something I haven't used much of, but it looks like a good material. Do you ever use calf tail? I hear that it "flows" a little better than bucktail.

Maybe I'll have to post a tutorial for my "Fat Albert" jig. It's made with marabou + a rabbit strip (zonker) and it's deadly on crappie. :teef:

Calf tail is nice stuff but its alot finer and shorter than bucktail. Where some buck tail fibres can be 4 or 5" long calf tail usually tops out at 1 1/2 or 2" and would take alot more on the hook to look as full as bucktail. Rabbit and marabou are nice alternatives but not as durable and they retain more water, making them heavier. There's lots of synthetic "hairs" out there that work great and have alot more movement than bucktail.

Sean