muskiehound

How long is your drying time

Im new to this board, and I most say it is full of advice. I was hoping you all could help me. I made some musky baits that are failing after they get wet. These are the steps I took.

1. prime with shellac

2. spray a coat of white, I think laquer

3. paint desired look with waterbase model paint, from hobby shop(airbrushed)

4. top coat devcon 2ton epoxy.

Could my failings be in the drying time? I would go through these steps as soon as the finishes were dry. With the lure completed in a day and half to two days. As an example of the lure that failed. The epoxy peeled off and the paint came with it.

You followed a process that I have used in the past almost exactly. I think the problem you had is with the spray on white no drying completely. The other problem could be the wood was not allowed to dry completely after weighting it.

You have to wait longer than you might imagine for the paint, wait a couple of days after the last coat of paint before going to the clear, even longer is better.

Try it again and make sure the wood is completely dry, like two days after weighting. Then make sure you allow the spray on white to dry really well before going forward. You might even consider buying a quart of primer/sealer and dipping the baits instead of using the rattle can as a primer. If you still have problems come back...we will figure it out.

Best of luck to you.

Jed

The problem could be the shellac. Your paint is not adhering to it. What are you using? When everything peels, this is usually the problem. However the Devcon should not peel like that. The only thing that I know that will make Devcon crack and peel is if water gets to the wood and the wood swells cracking the finish. If you left ANY spot uncovered with the Devcon then this could happen.

Skeeter

I would test the bouyancy of the bait after applying the weights, then cover the hole were the weight is let dry sand then shallac. Usually with in a days time. Probably to fast eh? The shallac is (Zinsser) brand from Home Depot. Im in the process of a new batch of lures, and these im trying kilz latex. most likely I will brush on the kilz. I did dip a bait, but what a mess!! I let the sealing coat of kilz dry for 24 hours. You think that will do?