Oncorhynchus_tshawytscha

A question about working with molds, foam, and plasics.

Hey everybody,

As I get more into making my own baits, I have started to look at manufactured baits for inspiration. I started looking at my store bought lures, and noticed that most of them are plastic. (Bomber Long A, Heddon Clatter Tad and Magnum Clatter Tad, Luhr-Jensen Speed Trap, Strike-King Diamond Shad, etc.)

My question is whether or not we (home lure-maker's) are capable of creating solid or 2-part lure bodies, in the same manner that the big companies do?

Would it be possible to use a mold that is designed for foamies, and instead use something like Environmental Technologies Inc.'s Clear Polyester Casting Resin to make something lures that are see though, with holographic or reflective tape embedded somehow?

I know I just asked alot of questions, but I'm always interested in new ways of making fish snacks :D

Thanks for your responses,

Brock

Hey everybody' date='

As I get more into making my own baits, I have started to look at manufactured baits for inspiration. I started looking at my store bought lures, and noticed that most of them are plastic. (Bomber Long A, Heddon Clatter Tad and Magnum Clatter Tad, Luhr-Jensen Speed Trap, Strike-King Diamond Shad, etc.)

My question is whether or not we (home lure-maker's) are capable of creating solid or 2-part lure bodies, in the same manner that the big companies do?

Would it be possible to use a mold that is designed for foamies, and instead use something like Environmental Technologies Inc.'s Clear Polyester Casting Resin to make something lures that are see though, with holographic or reflective tape embedded somehow?

I know I just asked alot of questions, but I'm always interested in new ways of making fish snacks :D

Thanks for your responses,

Brock[/quote']

There are some tricks you must learn, though. this was easy. Artbrush made a wicked nice 4 pt hollow crank mold.

ResinLip.jpg

Brock,

If you go to the photos section you will see a pic of a bait that Artbrush (shawn) just posted, this bait was molded. Yes there are a number of products you can use to mold a bait from. If you are interested in using molds tho beware as it can get quite spendy in a hurry with the foams and RTV silicone needed to make the molds. The foams are wonderful tho and dry as hard as a chunk of wood. If you haven't built many baits I would stick with wood for now, the world of wood has been around for a long time with baitmakers and is probably about as strong as ever. You can buy a pine board for 5 bucks that will make you a 100 or more bass plugs.

Jed

Brock' date='

If you go to the photos section you will see a pic of a bait that Artbrush (shawn) just posted, this bait was molded. Yes there are a number of products you can use to mold a bait from. If you are interested in using molds tho beware as it can get quite spendy in a hurry with the foams and RTV silicone needed to make the molds. The foams are wonderful tho and dry as hard as a chunk of wood. If you haven't built many baits I would stick with wood for now, the world of wood has been around for a long time with baitmakers and is probably about as strong as ever. You can buy a pine board for 5 bucks that will make you a 100 or more bass plugs.

Jed[/quote']

The Bondo Tutorial is a way to ease into the molding bait process. After you do it for a while, it becomes quite simple and the investment minimal.

I just got a report on one of my Babies performances. That plug took all of 15 minutes to make, and cost less than 15 cents US, without hooks.

http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547/ultimatebb.php/topic/11/4756.html

I have gotten all the materials I need to make a mold, except for the foam. With just turning 18 on April 10th, and not having a steady job, I don't have a credit card. My mother doesn't either, so it's kinda hard for me to order the foam. I'll just have to see if I can bribe my uncle into ordering it for me :lol:

Husky,

I printed out your tutorial, and I have just a couple of questions.

Would it be possible to use a manufactured lure as a basis for a mold? Would I first have to coat it with epoxy? (I'm thinking of some of my great-grandfather's lures, that are no longer made, and the companies are probably out of business.)

On step 7, can you explain a bit better? The picture doesn't really explain all that well.

I think that's it, until I have more problems.

Brock

(P.S. I have been making a Divani's 10" Glider, and will post pics really soon.)

I have gotten all the materials I need to make a mold' date=' except for the foam. With just turning 18 on April 10th, and not having a steady job, I don't have a credit card. My mother doesn't either, so it's kinda hard for me to order the foam. I'll just have to see if I can bribe my uncle into ordering it for me :lol:

Husky,

I printed out your tutorial, and I have just a couple of questions.

Would it be possible to use a manufactured lure as a basis for a mold? Would I first have to coat it with epoxy? (I'm thinking of some of my great-grandfather's lures, that are no longer made, and the companies are probably out of business.)

On step 7, can you explain a bit better? The picture doesn't really explain all that well.

I think that's it, until I have more problems.

Brock

(P.S. I have been making a Divani's 10" Glider, and will post pics really soon.)[/list']

Hey Brock,

You can make the mold from an existing lure, just be sure to mark the centerline. (No patent talk please) :D

7.) Take a razor and trim back the Bondo near the model until you can see a hint of the center line. (Sorry about the Borrowed Photo. I Ran out of hands.

As you are covering more than 1/2 the lure/model with Bondo, you will have to trim it back to the centerline to get it to release. OTHERWISE IT WILL BE UNABLE TO GET OUT OF THE MOLD. The finished mold MUST have 2 symetrical parts. I hope that explains it.

How big are the lures. The 4lb kit (It's a qt of each pt, 1/2 gal. total) of the 16 lb wt. (That's the density of the foam when cured) will make 1/4 cu ft of cured product. That's 1 sq ft by 3 inches of lures.

PM me with any questions.

Do the BONDO outdoors, if possible to avoid stinking up the house![/b]

Hey Brock,

If you want to cast hollow bodied lures that are transparent follow these links.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1617&highlight=4+part+mold

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1599&highlight=4+part+mold

However I'd reccomend following Husky's tut's to whet your beak. Can't wait to see your lures buddy.

Tight lines,

Shawn

Brock,

Here is a link for a place I used to go to buy foams and plastics directly before going entirely to wood.

http://www.farwestmaterials.com

This place is located just a few blocks from the Blue Mtn. Mall in College Place. They build huge bronze statues and other such things there but you can buy foams from them directly just go in and ask. I think a starter pack of featherlite is about 30 bucks....make sure you wear gloves, be careful, it can be dangerous.

Jed