civicdx

Lexan?

Lexan is the brand name. Polycarbonate is the generic name. This stuff is so tough that it's unbelievable. Be careful what you buy at the big box hardware stores. I've only ever seen plexiglass there. I made a set of lures with it. If the water is the slightest bit cold, it gets brittle. Each lure lasted 3 maybe 4 casts before the beak broke off.

I get 1/8" Lexan scraps from my local glass shop. Layout your lips with a drawing program. I use MS Paint. Print the lips on plain paper and glue it to the covering of your Lexan. Cut out the lips with a tablesaw, scrollsaw or bandsaw. With proper layout, you can cut the edge of two beaks at once. You can make the final shape and smooth the edges with a sander.

I order mine online from McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com,, who have competitive prices and good service. Unless you are making big fish lures, I'd go with the thinnest bill material available. It dives deeper and deflects off of cover better. Not as durable - but polycarbonate is tough in any thickness. If you're making them for yourself you might as well go whole hog IMO. McMaster also carries G-10 (aka Micarta, F4, circuit board, etc) in .032" sheets, which is great for thin lips on shallow cranks and jerkbaits. Not as tough as Lexan but it's popular among pro fishermen. G-10 is a high pressure laminate of epoxy over a substrate of fiberglass, linen or other binder material. McMaster's G-10 is gold colored (linen?) but I prefer G-10 based on fiberglass, which is light green. Same physical properties, I just like green better. Of course, if you paint it, it won't matter.