allstate48

wet paint

I painted an old lure 3 days ago, and the top coat is still a little sticky. Just not right. I primed, and let everything dry overnight, then came back with a light coat, let set while I changed color, and spayed another light shade on the sides. Then I came back with a heavier coat on the back, and that is what isn't right. I'm useing Createx. Now what/ Wait and see, or ? Thanks Doug

Sounds like the paint isen't mixed enough. Seperated paint will do just that! and it maybe a bad batch. You need the right conditions also especially if your in a basement. Also check this out > www.smithpaints.com (wildlife paints) . This is made for air brushing and needs no thining like createx. The more createx is exposed to the air the thicker the remaining stock gets. Wildlife is already thin and if it ever thickens > just add a pinch of H2O

Try mixing the paint in a small dixie cup first, don't mix it in your color cup. Get a hairdryer and after each coat of paint blow some hot air on it, you'll see the shine of the paint disappear, that the water from the paint evaporating. Then you are ready for the next coat of paint. Make sure you seal the wood first, then primer, then paint.

I just reviewed your original question again > Question now for you

Are you working with wood or plastic? #2 You said "TOP COAT" ! Is that a clear coat or the coat on top of the lure? #3 You said " HEAVY COAT" > WHY??? Don't spray or paint a heavy coat. Dark pait goes on last. All should go on lite to lesson long range problems such as cracking or peeling. The only coat I put on heavy (because its brushed on thick) is the clear coat and its multi layerd. DON"T RUSH THE JOB! takes me a week to paint a lure. NO HURRY! NO PROBLEM!. Top coat (clear coat) if not in the right temp. will stay tacky and also over painted or heavy painted area's and remain tacky for days.

I'm wooking with an old wood crank bait. The top coat is just on the back.It's not that heavy. The other coats were very light. This one was to cover. I took all of the old paint off, down to the wood, and then sanded everything. Thinking back, the area I'm having trouble with, had a clear coat on it, probaly on all of the lure.The bait was cracked, and chiped on bottom, so I picked it off. Got to the top, and it was stuck. I had to dremal sand it off. I didn't go that deep, so I wouldn't get into the wood. Thanks Doug

Doug, it is always better to work with lighter coats and build up from there. Mixing of the paint was mentioned in an earlier post, I believe what they meant was to make sure you get the paint mixed well in the bottle before putting it into your spray cup. If the paint has sat for some time since last used, it will seperate into two distinct layers inside the container. Shake the bejesus out of it prior to using, making sure it is well mixed. You also want to invest in a blow dryer, the one I use is real small (my wife got it from Wal-Mart for less than $10 I think). It will speed up the curing process of the paint.

Remember, light coats of paint!

Thanks everyone.I've never had trouble with my paint drying. But, Ive never added water, and mixed paint ether. I did mix the paint in my spray cup. I think the old man just came out in me. It's not that I don't have everything. I've got jars, cups, stir sticks, more paint than Wal-Mart( so my wife says)LOL. I just screwed up.Hope I can say that! Thanks again everyone. This site is great with all the help. I just hope I can get a third as good as you people!! Doug