folk

polyester clearcoat?

Is there anybody, who ever tried to substitute the epoxy-based clearcoats for polyester resin? I'm thinking about this, because the epoxy glue I can get here is too thick to smooth it evenly.

On the other hand, I saw a polyester resin product, that looks like a syrup. It would be definitely better to work with, rather than the jelly-like epoxy, but I'm not sure about the durability of the polyester.

Any pro's or con's?

folk

polyester resins chip easily and don't adhere well to painted and wooden surfaces. These are some reasons why a lot of fiberglass repairs are done with epoxy resins. I would stay away from the polyester.

One trick that i use to smooth out my epoxy is after I have a rough coat on my lures I hit them with a heat gun for 2-4 seconds. this thins the epoxy so that I can brush it out into a smooth even coat. it also causes the epoxy to set faster thus reducing the chance of dust from getting into the finish.