bladesandbaits

would like to search patent on this

UV cured epoxies. I had a project at work and contacted many adheasive and coating manufactuers. They all say no problem to create a sprayable or dipable product to meet your specs that can be cured in seconds. Many of these same companies make other products also that meet most needs. I can't find the companies at work or the contact information for some reason. I need to request our IT department, at work, to look into it. Most were willing to send me free samples to try (free samples to them are near lifetime supplies to me).

http://www.epoxycoatingsco.com/uv_curable_coatings.html#lures

In that post, he listed a recipe of chemicals for a clearcoat,..... later, he saw another post & inaccurately thought it was directed towards him, so he went back & pulled the recipe out.

If youre looking into advanced clearcoats, Id do some research on UV cure epoxies. I saw a video demonstration where a rep poured the epoxy from a tube onto a table, while hitting it with a UV pen-light & it cured instantly out of the tube creating what looked like a clear stalagmite.

interesting, but probably costly, but relatively easy to use. Ive seen a manufacturer that makes a formula that will cure under a normal blacklight, sorry, but I dont have the link handy..... (you should see my bookmark file, like a needle in a haystack) :rolleyes:

I have talked to the guy at epoxycoatings. They will take a bait and coat it for you and send it back for you to see. It takes two 1200 watt UV lights to cure the epoxy. It is completely cured in 2 seconds. That's right..... 2 seconds. The product is around $80 a gallon if I remember correctly. You dip the lure and let it hang untill it quits dripping. Then you run it through the lights. There is a bulb on each side. You need some kind of little production line to move the baits through the lights. The lights are blinding so you will have to have some kind of set up to protect your eyes from the lights. The bulbs are about 3 ft. long each. You can set yourself up with one of these units for about $1500.00 plus the $80.00 for the epoxy. The bulbs will loose intensity over time. They will have to be replaced every 1 to 3 years depending on how often they are used.

Skeeter

I am not sure. Pen light will definitely not cut it. The light has to be at 1200 watt intensity or it will not completely cure. It may feel hard, but the coating will not cure to the core. These lights usually come with some type of amplifier to bring the lights up to intensity.

Skeeter

Thanks Skeeter! So much for that idea! I better get to painting if I want to justify something like that.

..and you are correct, if working with UV light you must have protective eyeglasses on. Not just any glasses either, they have to be designed for that application.

LOL thanks guys! New I could count on you I was looking at this as well.My wife is a PA (physician assistant)in the laperscopic surgury field.Guess she needs to show me how to spell all that as well :-D

One would think with an engineering degree I could spell better :-D

Any way she told me that the technicians use uv adhesives to bond plastic surgery tools and poly tubes and such together as well as they use it in some surgery techniques actually in the body.She told me it was made by a company called dymax.You are correct Skeeter and Spo they have to use speacial eye protection.She said the stuff they use bonds in 2 seconds as well.And they use a speacial light as well that can be pinpointed to a specific area.

I contacted dymax and they will take some general information from you as to your application intentions.They will then send you samples for testing free.

http://www.dymax.com/

The guy I spoke with told me that they have all kinds of formulations that cure at different uv strengths and said was very possible to get a formula that did not require the really exspensive lights but that it would cure a little slower.Best thing is (if i did not mis- understand him) the stuff is completly safe to use as far as VOC and harmfull vapor.Only draw back is once cured something like accitone would dissove it.Well guess that an't so bad.

I think I will try to persue this more because I huff enough dangerous fumes as it is.And since I refuse to get away from lacquer i guess i should cut my exsposure down in other areas if i can.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of searching amelesly(sp) for that nuclear bomb that guy was inventing lol.I will keep u posted B&B

I was talking to a Dymax guy based here in Singapore as well. Will be sending them some samples for test then they say they can send some samples of the recommended epoxy. Will keep u guys posted if I get positive result with viable "economic" solutions to the curing.

UV cured epoxy would be an avenue we can all explore, with some mod to our usual coating procedure. From the tech sheets that I've seen the properties are definately superior to Devcon & Etex. Only question is the $$$ ;):D

Skeeter:

the intensity doesn't have to be as high as 1200watt according to Dymax guys. It'll affect curing time though with lower intensity --- from 2 to 90 seconds. Cheap UV & 90 sec cure time I can live with ;):D However if there are recessed areas not exposed to UV, curing can take as long as 48 to 72 hours.