- - - - -

Making Castaic Style Heads with expanding foam?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sloegoe

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:05 AM

I've made many attempts at Castaic style heads using RTV molds(bluegill,trout,ect.) but Ive always poured them using resins and soft plastic. Castaic uses some kind of foam. Any Ideas on a brand or type of foam? This should be an easy one for you hard bait pros.

-Hey, to all you purists, I make 99% of all my baits from scratch, but with the way the companies are these days, like castaic discontinuing the Bluegill I would like to make a few heads to use up the remaining of my soft bodies. Thanks sloegoe.

#2 Art Brush

Art Brush

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:37 PM

Hey sloegoe,

I'm not sure what they used but it probably wasn't featherlite as it wasn't available up untill a few years ago and Castaic debuted in '98.

My guess is they used a gelcoat in the molds before casting the foam. My theory on this approach is based on the pinhole factor.

Both foam or f-lite castings have small pinholes in the surface of the lures regardless of powder used. The guys here have been using Tally's plasti-dip to seal their foam lures.

With f-lite I don't get alot of pinholes and they usually seal with 2 or 3 light coats of base primer with sanding between coats.

If we could see a cross section of a castaic, one of us here could probably id the foam used.

Post pics of your lures buddy. We'd love to see them :D

Tight Lines,