sloegoe

Making Castaic Style Heads with expanding foam?

I've made many attempts at Castaic style heads using RTV molds(bluegill,trout,ect.) but Ive always poured them using resins and soft plastic. Castaic uses some kind of foam. Any Ideas on a brand or type of foam? This should be an easy one for you hard bait pros.

-Hey, to all you purists, I make 99% of all my baits from scratch, but with the way the companies are these days, like castaic discontinuing the Bluegill I would like to make a few heads to use up the remaining of my soft bodies. Thanks sloegoe.

Hey sloegoe,

I'm not sure what they used but it probably wasn't featherlite as it wasn't available up untill a few years ago and Castaic debuted in '98.

My guess is they used a gelcoat in the molds before casting the foam. My theory on this approach is based on the pinhole factor.

Both foam or f-lite castings have small pinholes in the surface of the lures regardless of powder used. The guys here have been using Tally's plasti-dip to seal their foam lures.

With f-lite I don't get alot of pinholes and they usually seal with 2 or 3 light coats of base primer with sanding between coats.

If we could see a cross section of a castaic, one of us here could probably id the foam used.

Post pics of your lures buddy. We'd love to see them :D

Tight Lines,

Shawn