muskietom51

Filling Holes

Muskie Tom, Tried it once...doubt I'll do it again. Epoxy absorbed far enough to give me a divot on each lead hole, and didn't sand "uniformally" with the rest of the bottom of the bait when I went to touch it up :censored:

Now I putty in the hole, primer w/ kilz(sand, primer again) and paint, light coat of e-tex, and respray the belly if needed(after light sanding) then another moderate coat of e-tex.

Still learning, Bart

Because my belly lead has a hook hanger through it on my balsa lures I always epoxy it in thoroughly. A sanding drum on a Dremel does a fine job of cleaning up any slop--then I proceed with a little putty to level and smooth any low spots. But just as a hole filler with no strengthening needed, stick to the putty like Windknot said.

Dean

Try this; it has been working well for me:

Drill the hole, place the weight, fill the hole completely 2 ton expoxy glue.

Then...take the wood shavings from the hole you drilled and push them into the glue until they are thoroughly covered and soaked. Arrange the shavings so that they protrude slightly out of the hole.

Grind off the excess after the glue has thoroughly and completely cured and dried.

I've also been priming with the newer spray paint that claims to chemically bonds to plastic. It works well with both wood and plastic lures and seems to bond well with Envirotec if and when I use it as a sealer. I prime with white and I'm ready to go directly to the airbrushing with colors of choice.

I fill the ballast hole about 1/2 full, stick in the weight/hanger and wipe off the excess. Take a small artist's brush and build up the epoxy until there's a uniform dome of epxoy over the hole. Looks good and avoids the extra steps of wood filler and sanding. Usually not as perfect as using wood filler but it looks OK, especially if you use a domed ballast weight. I hate sanding around a hook hanger!