sloegoe

Fish Stories: The Truely Bizzare Part I

I'm always amazed at what can happen if you throw a line and a hook in the water a few million times. I've been fishing around 150 days/year for 20 years (age ten), so my lines been in the water an awful lot. I am very interested to see if anybody else out there has had weird things happen to them. So many strange things have happened to me personally that it seems that even the laws of probability can't explain it. I'm going to post a story a week, if nobodies interested I'll stop. If anybody else has a story please PM me or post it. This is just one of maybe 50 strange things and the first one to come to mind.

-About 3 nights a week my Friend and I would fish under the Bay Bridge in the San Francisco Bay. It was usually a warm evening and boredom that would send us out. This is how cool we were in high school.(You always get skunked if you stay home!) We would get out there at 10pm and stay until 5am, it's amazing anything weird would happen at that time. The bridge was pretty well lit to warn ships and planes of its existence and we would tie the boat up to the piling closest to the deep water channel. I would say the water was around 20 ft deep and our rigs consisted of a Carolina rig type set up with a glow in the dark hoochie tipped with a piece of squid dropped on the bottom. The quarry was small shark, stingray and the occasional striper.

I got a bite and set the hook on a pretty good sized fish. The fight when on for 5 min or so when the fish broke off, no big deal it happened all the time. So an hour or so went by without a bite which was pretty uncommon. It was my turn to set the hook again and I stuck him solid. The fight went on for 10 min or so when I got a glimpse of my glow in the dark hoochie. The funny thing was that the 4 ft shark was about 3 ft up my line thrashing around on the surface and my hoochie was still 3 ft under water. At first I thought my hoochie had fallen off and was just floating in the water. When I netted the shark I realized that my hoochie was still on my line and the bait was untouched. My Friend and I got the lantern to see how I brought the shark in. My old hook, the one that broke off earlier was still in his mouth, the eyelet of the hook had opened slightly from the previous battle and my main line had actually got caught inside the old hooks' eyelet. I brought the shark in as he "bottomed out" against the sinker. My Friend tried putting his 20 lb test into the opening and it barely fit! With all that water what are the chances?- Sloegoe.

Sloegoe, I hope this is what you intended, as I don't wish to hijack your thread:

Last year myself and three friends were fishing 10 miles off the Florida panhandle in 60 feet of water. We had been catching a few rather large Spanish mackerel when one of the more inexperienced guys hooked a real big one. The fish made a run and the line somehow caught his finger, and he lost control of the rod and reel. This just happened to be my favorite Penn 4500 and I got the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as I watched the outfit disappear out of site leaving nothing but a trail of bubbles. I gave that rig up for lost and even though I felt bad about it, got back to fishing. The bite was still going strong an hour or so later when someone hooked what they thought was a very large fish. As they worked the fish to the boat, it looked like they had snagged one of the other lines being fished. I boated the fish, freed the snagged line, started to let it go, but something told me to see who?s line it was first. I pulled up one end of the line and discovered my lost Penn 4500 outfit attached. I retrieved the other end to find the fish still hooked. What?s the chances of that happening? I fished the same area with the outfit today, and it is still my favorite!

This past weekend I had a funny feeling and set the hook. It felt like I was pulling in some kind of grass. It was not grass. It was a woman's bra. My partner just about fell out of the boat laughing. I released it back into the lake. I did not want to take a chance of my wife finding it in the boat! LOL