rixon529

Saltwater baits

Hi Guys.

I am still reading everything I can on this site to learn as much as possible before I commit myself to this endeavor. From all I've read, I easily think this is going to be my newfound interest and I can't wait to get started. I have started to make a workspace for myself in the basement end of my garage under the house, and accumulating the necessary equipment. I have a few ideas about baits I'd like to try, and hope to be experimenting and trying to make a few plaster and Durham's molds soon. When I'm satisfied that I know what I'm doing, I'll try making molds from resin.

I live in Connecticut and fish saltwater. My questions are about making saltwater baits for striped bass fishing... My personal best a few years ago was a 39" striper. Last year I had reasonable success with Storm Wild Eyes and Slug-Gos. This season, SuperFlukes are very popular bait right now.

Anyway - :?:

How much hardener do you think I should start off with to make saltwater swimbaits?

Can plastic with hardener added be melted down and re-used?

Has anyone bought, seen, or made a mold for an eel bait?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. This is a great site with a great bunch of people, and I look forward to being able to contribute once I get going. :)

Lure Craft's 502 formula plastic is VERY hard. I don't think you'd need a bit of hardener if you use that. Haven't tried Del's tube plastic, but I hear that's a very durable product too.

You can reheat any plastic, as long as it's not made by 3-G corporation. Of course, that's just my opinion. B) Many of the major companies use 3-G and you will have a miserable time trying to melt down their plastics.

My eel bait is a little under 7 inches long. This is one of the few I made with resin. Not perfect, but it does the job for me.

Good luck with your new hobby!

Chris

blshad_193.jpg

blshad_193.jpg

blshad_193.jpg

blshad_193.jpg

blshad_193.jpg

blshad_193.jpg

blshad_193.jpg

blshad_193.jpg

1505_thumb.attach

Chris - thanks for the response. I appreciate the info.

The color of those eel baits is excellent. The red is an outstanding touch in the middle.

By the way, I took a good long look at your website. Very well done, and a terrific offering of styles and sizes. The colors are awesome. :)

Keep up the great work!

Rick

I like the Lure Craft 500 plastic for tubes and salt water baits. It is just a little harder than the 502. This is just my preference. Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. :D

I make some of my molds out of Durham's Water Putty. If sealed properly, I believe it is as good as resin. What I really like are the aluminum molds that Del makes. None better.

Cal

My mistake. Cal is right. I forgot about the 500 formula. Now I'M SURE you don't need hardener for that stuff. :D

....and thanks for the kind words Rick. There is such an abundance of talent on this site and these guys are always willing to help others. Just ask!

Chris