sloegoe

I tried the bondo mold

I tried the bondo mold that Husky has as a tutorial. I had a few problems that I finally solved. So if anybody else is going to try I'll let you in on what not to do.

-There is a reason Husky keeps talking about the centerline of the bait. It is impossible to get the bait out if you're even a fraction over the center. You have to be precise. You also must make sure that your centerline is indeed your center, I carved my bait a little lopsided and ran into problems that way. I'm not a master like Husky! The mold release I made out of Mineral spirits and Vaseline wasn't thick enough, I'm guessing, on my first mold because the two sides fused together. I added more vaseline until the consisteny was like honey, Let the mixture stand overnight so that it isn't chunky, and it released like a charm.

- The one thing I did to cheat was to get a sanding block and sand the top and bottom centerline of my balsa master making it flat on top and bottom, this gave me more room for error and made the process much faster for me.-sloegoe.

Hey, It's not like I didn't warn you! :D Undercuts in any rigid material spell disaster. The Urethane rubber is a bit more forgiving but is more costly. I didn't seal the cap on one part tightly enough and wound up with a 2lb cylinder of rubber. :censored:

We wanna see some pics when you're ready.

Welcome to the world of foam.

I will post some pics when I'm finished, if I ever finish. I have a master trout swimbait I'm carving out of Balsa that will probably get the urethane mold. I'm also making a non rattle trap with the bondo mold, which ever is done first I'll post, thanks Husky. I was getting so frustrated with the bondo mold that I just put anything in there just to do it. It's not show material!-sloegoe.

I haven't tryed it yet, but i will. Thgough i'll try it in a different manner. I'll share my idea with you, may be someone will have time to put it in practice before i will.

I would use to pieces, cglue them together with some hobbye glue. I would shape the lure, sand it, and coat it once or twice. After that insert a knife or a blade where the pieces were glued together, and sepatare them again. So yopu have the 2 symetrrical(as much as possible) halves of the lure.

The next step is use a piece of glas, or plexi glass(because it has a bit of elasticity to it). Glue one half on the plexi or glass, and after that the other one on the other side, exactly where the other one lies. Then do the wood box thing for both sides, glue them(if necesary) to the plexi, and poor the bondo over the halves of the lure, and there you have a mold.

Plus everything that Husky mentioned in his tutorial(with lubricants and stuff). :-D

Hope it's a helpful idea.That's how i intented to make a mold, but had absolutely no time for it.

I haven't tryed it yet' date=' but i will. Thgough i'll try it in a different manner. I'll share my idea with you, may be someone will have time to put it in practice before i will.

I would use to pieces, cglue them together with some hobbye glue. I would shape the lure, sand it, and coat it once or twice. After that insert a knife or a blade where the pieces were glued together, and sepatare them again. So yopu have the 2 symetrrical(as much as possible) halves of the lure.

The next step is use a piece of glas, or plexi glass(because it has a bit of elasticity to it). Glue one half on the plexi or glass, and after that the other one on the other side, exactly where the other one lies. Then do the wood box thing for both sides, glue them(if necesary) to the plexi, and poor the bondo over the halves of the lure, and there you have a mold.

Plus everything that Husky mentioned in his tutorial(with lubricants and stuff). :-D

Hope it's a helpful idea.That's how i intented to make a mold, but had absolutely no time for it.[/quote']

That is a great way to assure you'll wind up with 2 symetrical halve, if the lure is lathe turnd. If its a flat bait, the sides may come out of the mold effortlessly, but may not be identical.

Coley has been using that method with great success, so (I'd say you're onto to something.

Savacs, I too have stumbled on to that same idea offered to me my a TU member. The hardest part of the bondo mold for me was getting the clay flat and sitting against the centerline. You can try and put the bait back together after you're done with the first side of the mold then pour your second side instead of building two boxes. -Slogoe.

I made my first attempt today, still waiting on the setup. I don't expect much, as I decided to do this sometime last night, and was unable to come up with 16lb foam. I opted to use "Great Stuff" instead, I'm guessing mostly as a lesson in futility. I did get a fairly decent bondo mold, and enjoyed making it.

I'm ordering the 16lb foam on Monday, this stuff is a blast :)

Husky, you are on my wife's hitlist for giving me another "time waster" (her term, not mine) to keep me from doing her fix-it projects :) Thanks for the tutorial!

I'll post pics and a follow in a few days...

I made my first attempt today' date=' still waiting on the setup. I don't expect much, as I decided to do this sometime last night, and was unable to come up with 16lb foam. I opted to use "Great Stuff" instead, I'm guessing mostly as a lesson in futility. I did get a fairly decent bondo mold, and enjoyed making it.

I'm ordering the 16lb foam on Monday, this stuff is a blast :)

Husky, you are on my wife's hitlist for giving me another "time waster" (her term, not mine) to keep me from doing her fix-it projects :) Thanks for the tutorial!

I'll post pics and a follow in a few days...[/quote']

Just tell her Bondo is "liquid duct tape" and now you'll be able to fix those things you thought were unfixable. That should give you a "running start." B)

LOL Husky u got someone in trouble :grin:

Just wondering if u make bondo s/bait heads? Will it hold up? I was thinking of bigger profile less weight compared to lead....

If the stuff can stand up to NY traffic, what can a fish do to it? Seriously, I think it could be an alternative to lead in order to create light weight castings. Spray the mold with a Universal MR and give it a try.

Ok, followup:

"Great Stuff" isn't. No solid setup in the form and a lack of decent density. Now THIS weekend's project will be next weekend's project since I'll be ordering some "real" 16lb foam.

How well do these forms work with Featherlite?

Ok' date=' followup:

"Great Stuff" isn't. No solid setup in the form and a lack of decent density. Now THIS weekend's project will be next weekend's project since I'll be ordering some "real" 16lb foam.

How well do these forms work with Featherlite?[/quote']

Art Brush is our resident featherlite expert, and his stuff is second to none.

Great Stuff is NG for our purposes.

If your mold has no undercuts and you use a good Univrsal spray MR, you should have no problems. Check out Shopmaninc.com for Foam and other supplies.

For about $30 you can get a 1/2 gal. of foam and a can of MR.

Husky