longball

PVC sheets

I have read every where I can find on this board and can find no information about making crankbaits out of pvc. There is a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet of PVC that can be purchased for sign installers. Years ago I made topwater baits out of it but it had a durability issue holding the small screw eyes. I have fixed that problem with longer self made hook eyes that are listed in the tutorial. Since trolling this message board for a couple of years I have never seen any speak of it. It sands great and after sealing with KilZ it paints great. Has anyone here used it? if so what do you like or dislike about it? Any help would be nice, you guys forgot more about lure building than I know. Thanks.

It is kinda pricey, at $124.00 per 4x8 foot sheet so I could see where it would not be as common as foam or balsa. I used to get scraps and sand out a topwater stick bait or something.

I have taken notes from this site for a while trying to make it better and I think I have. I make a cool shad replica today with a Dremel and sand paper. It floats well and don't absorb any water. The screws are what I had a problem with and it seems I have fixed that. When I get it painted I will post a pic for review.

Ive used 1/8" PVC & polystyrene sheet to vacuform lure halves before, but its alot of work & more trouble than its worth.

If the sheet is 1/2 thick, is that the max width of your baits?

How'd you get it to float? seems like it would sink on initial thought.

We have a signmaker here, goes by "Count Draculure" he works with alot of plastics maybe he could help.

I also remember an old member "fishinrev" who made baits by cutting & stacking 1/8" polycarbonate sheets to make a hollow & clear crankbait.

Again, he mentioned his method was quite time consuming also.

If youre carving solid pvc stock, drop us a photo on here when you get a chance, We'd love to see your progress.

good luck.

I wish that we builders could find a suitable replacement for wood as it would eliminate many of the hassles we deal with. Remember JC Lures? I remember he was building his cranks out of a round stock PVC like product....tried that stuff, nasty! I have also experimented with various plastic woods with mixed results. If you could get a light plastic material up to 1" in thickness it would allow for about everything we might want to build. My guess is the product is already out there but noone on the board has yet to discover it.

Jed

You can call a sign supply place and ask for 1/2" PVC sheets. Other than that if you know a big custom sign shop you can browse their dumpster area or just ask for a sample. I used to work for the sign shop I find it at. I just go to where they throw the old signs out and pick up a sheet. I feel like a trash picker for a while, but it is a small price to pay for a custom lure to catch a bass.

Here is the place I buy my material from.Its polyurethane board,and comes in different densities,some float some dont.I use pro-lab 65 for all may baits that need accurate wieghting,like suspending crankbaits.It will be the same density and weight throughout the board.You should check them out,they also have stuff for you foamie guys and mold making materials too.The pro-lab 65 has a density of .65.

BTW it is pricey to buy a whole board, but i figured it to be around $1.60 per 7" muskie sized bait.

Tom S.

http://www.axson-na.com/