Oncorhynchus_tshawytscha

Your rainbow trout color schemes

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering what paint colors you use when painting your rainbow colored wooden baits. I've seen some where the base looks to be white, then others with that "trout pink" as what I can only assume is the base. All that I have seen have a dark green (I think :) ) back, and a lighter colored belly. Basically, I'm just looking for a step by step tutorial of how you artists do it.

(The reason I'm asking is that for most of the bass around here, rainbow trout fingerlings are the primary feed, as far as I have seen.)

Thanks in advance,

Brock

Brock,

The colors on Rainbow Trout can really very depending on your location.Some have Bluegreen backs..some have Olive backs..or a kind of Golden Olive color back.Some have light pink stripes down the sides...others almost blood red.Most all have a pearl white belly.

The colors I use are: Olive back...Rose colored stripe that I hit with red glitter for high lite...and a Pearl white belly..Nathan

I've just started carving lures and am new to the forum. However, I've been carving fish for several years. Just thought I needed a change. Here's the schedule I use to paint larger fish. I use the airbrush and Polytranpar Transparent paint.

I've carved 6 bluegill lures using my regular fish schedules...don't see why it wont work for a rainbow lure. Rainbows will be my next venture.

1. I use Med. Bass Green for the back and leading edge of the fins. I normally will put a light coat on the sides and belly.

2. Use Intense Red for the lateral stripe and gill covers. I usually hit lightly the center of the dorsal and caudal fins with this also.

3. Next I put on the scales using veil and airbrushed with silver.

4. I use Bass Belly White for the belly and lower jaw.

5. I use a very light coat of Candy Payne's gray and hit the leading edges of the fins and around some of the facial features.

6. Spray a light coat of Shimmering Gold on Belly.

7. Spray a light coat of Shimmering Green on back.

Hope this helps...you could probably leave out a couple of steps and do fine with the lures.