Ryno Plastics

New To Rod Building...Where Do I Start?

Here is a good book to start. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1571882162/qid=1059473111/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-3889419-9984710?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It will tell you the basic tools required along with a straight talking "how to" build a rod from start to finish. It is a very basic book that will be able to read in a few hours.

You can also go here www.rodbuilding.org The guy that owns this site also is the author of the book.

Good book to have around as reference. So is Advanced Custom Rod Building.

One of the first things that I did was go to a local rod component distributor and walk around and look at all the blanks from the different companies that make them. I played with 'em and got an idea of their action and power compared to other companies blanks. That way when I was fishing I could say, Hey, blank such and such would work better for this presentation.

If you go to rodbuilding.org you will see a list of site sponsors on the left. Most of them have rod kits that save you from having to choose the components. Some will even fit the reel seat and handle for a small charge. All you have to do when you get it is glue and wrap. Well, you have to place your guides too. It's a great way to do it and saves the confusion of having to decide what guides to use, what thread to use, etc.

If you fish hard, like most on here do, you will want to stay with a higher quality blank. Not expensive, just higher quality. Again, the rodbuilder.org site can be of great assistance in finding out what blanks are a good buy and which brands charge for their name. Spend time researching blanks and the companies that make them. Seeker has a great online video about how they make their blanks. Very neat stuff.

Read all you can about guide placement. There are several theories about what is best. One of the best tools I bought for rod building was surgical tubing to hold the guides in place for test casting. You can really dial in your setup while test casting and pitching if you use the tubing instead of masking tape.

Be warned, building your own rods quickly becomes an addiction. You cant get enough.

You've got some good advice there. There are some very good video tapes on the market as well. The tapes by Dale Clemens, the author of Advanced Custom Rod Building, are very well done. There is a good one by Mel Dickie and a few by Artie Hebert. These cover the basics and into some of the intermediate skills. You'll be buildig with confidence and turning out good rods with the books and or videos suggested. Tom Kirkman who wrote the first book recomended does run the web page www.rodbuilding.org and also publishes RodMaker Magazine. His web page is full of info on everything in rodbuilding. There are beginners asking questions as well as "old pros" It's a family atmosphere. Check it out. The FAC page is full of info as is the Glossary page. Worth a trip there. If I can be of any help, please ask.

Ray

There has been some trouble with the main server for the two most used rod building web sites but it appears to be under control as of tonight. I hope I didn't just jinx them!!!!! For anyone who went to www.rodbuilding.org or www.rodguild.com for the first time, please don't base your opinion on the past few days. The provider's server went down and created all kinds of problems for these two great sites. I urge you to go and check them out again, you won't be sorry if you give them time to get the gremlins out. By the way, this is the FIRST time this has ever happened so you can have faith in them. Check out the stats for posts on rodbuilding.org Mind blowing !!

Maze