wsswesty

E-Tex Dimpling any Suggestions?

I've recently carved 5 bluegills and got them painted. Based on info from the board, I decided to use E-Tex for the final coat. I put the lure on the dryer last night and this morning when I checked them, the sides appeared to have dimples in them...a very uneven looking surface. I didn't thin the E-tex with acetone...could that have been the problem? Is it possible to put another thin coat of E-Tex over the lures to cover the dimples? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Do you guys use more than 1 coat of E-Tex?

Thank you

Scott

How long did you wait to apply the ETEX and did you let it drip off of the lure before putting it on the drying wheel. I have found that if you let too much drip off ( trying to remove the excess finish ) Once the bait starts to dry, it will dimple. Etex has a long working time. So I doubt that you applied it while it was starting to set. Try leaving a little more...not a lot but a little more finish on the bait next time before putting it on the drying wheel.

I had this problem myself several months back and it took me several weeks to figure it out. Turns out that the etex was having a reaction to a new water-based paint that I was using. I would guess this is what's going on for you too. Look at the paint you are using..either the primer or paint is the culprit. I went back to createx and the problems went away.

If you are brushing the etex there is no reason to thin it, mix at 1/1, wait five or ten minutes and start brushing. For the baits you have right now go ahead and put etex over the top and it will smooth everything out. The only problem with multiple coats is that some baits, crankbaits for example, will be impacted considerably if you get too heavy on the final coat.

jed

I tryed E-tex without the drying wheel! Don't have one, and didn't have time to make one. I just brushed it on te lure, hang the lure and let it drip. Now it has a fine coat of E-TEX over it, and it looks more than OK to me.

Don't even understand why you mixed the stuff with aceton. To me it seems thin enough. Any thinner than that and i couldn't use it.

In my opinion the thinner is the problem. May be you didn't mix it well with the epoxy. Had something like that going on......, but using 5 minute stuff, so........