Terrydabassman

Whats the difference???

Feather Lite? is a new heavily filled low-density urethane casting resin. As the name implies, castings are lighter than conventional urethane resins (it will float in water) and can be used for a variety of applications. Cured plastic is strong and can be carved, machined, drilled, sanded, etc. Feather Lite? can be pigmented with SO Strong? color tints prior to casting and finished castings can be painted.

Parts A and B are heavily filled and components will separate in the container. Both sides need to be thoroughly pre-mixed before use. It has a 1A:1B by volume mix ratio, 8 minute pot life and roughly 2 hour demold.

Applications: We have some deep sea fishing lure makers that add pigment and cast large lures using Feather Lite?.

Resin star castings made from Smooth-Cast 300, 325 and TASK 9 all sink to the bottom.

The Feather Lite casting (cream color, center) floats.

We also have customers using it to make a variety of light-

prototype castings (model trains and cars) and for creating movie special effect figures.

Ship It! - A prototype model maker called to tell us that she saved a lot on shipping costs by casting a large prototype model that needed to go cross-country using Feather Lite? instead of what she usually uses.

Price Comparision - At first glance, Feather Litetm appears to cost more money when comparing the unit price to the unit price of other resins. However, this material yields 41 cubic inches per pound vs. 26.6 for general purpose casting resins (such as Smooth-Cast? 300). This means that, in a cubic inch per pound comparison,Feather Lite? actually costs less than Smooth-Cast? or other similar casting resins.

Hey Terry,

I'd say both dry to a hard plastic and both have "foaming" properties.

I've been using mica powders to powder my molds and getting LESS pin holes.

The pin holes cover with 2-3 light coats of flat white primer and really aren't a problem. The blanks in the pic are mica powdered. The pink one is "5lb foam-it" from smooth-on. 5lb is way too soft for lures however I wanted to try the mica powder with foam to test the pin-hole factor. WAYYYY better than talcum powder and less pin holes.

I'm using "color place" flat white as a base coat available from dork-mart.

Can't wait to see your foamies. B)

Tight Lines,

Shawn

mica_blanks_673.jpg

mica_blanks_673.jpg

mica_blanks_673.jpg

mica_blanks_673.jpg

mica_blanks_673.jpg

mica_blanks_673.jpg

mica_blanks_673.jpg

mica_blanks_673.jpg

1519_thumb.attach

Terry,

It was definatley worth a try. Thanks for posting the test results :)

Cliff,

I got some silver powder however it's not real silver and comes out kinda dull like aluminum. I'll cast a blank today with it and post it when my lady gets back with the camera on Monday.

The flat white color place primer is in rattle cans. I've tried quite a few tryin to seal pin holes and it seems to work the best.

The mica powder I got my gal picked up from Sally's beauty supply. It's used in cosmetics as blushes and eye shadows. She thought I could use it for a glitter in topcoat. Looking at it I realized it was ground far to fine for that use. Then I noticed it was finer than talcum powder and decided to give it a shot. Alot of casts come out free of pin holes and the ones that have pin holes are less than the casts done with talcum. :wink:

Mica powder is also used in candles, soaps and shampoos. If you look at some liquid soaps they have a pearl effect to them. It comes in just about any color and is dirt cheap... cause it is dirt lol.

Do the guys in soft plastics use it for their perl effects? Not sure if its the same stuff or if they got a better supplier but here's a link to ebay listings.

http://search.ebay.com/mica-powder_W0QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3

Tight Lines,

Shawn