ChadG

Need help w/big crankbait

We made a 10" Jake/Grandma type bait out of Mahogany. Problem is it wants to wander on a straight retreive or trolling. I wrapped the front and middle hook with solder and it helped a little but not much. Do I need to get some lead in the body of the crank to help it track straighter?

10_jake_496.jpg

10_jake_496.jpg

10_jake_496.jpg

10_jake_496.jpg

10_jake_496.jpg

10_jake_496.jpg

10_jake_496.jpg

10_jake_496.jpg

1522_thumb.attach

First off Chad, you have a really sweet looking bait there.

I have been making some Grandma style baits using the stencils from Luremaking 101, and since the author didn't specify where or if there needed to be any weight, I just started adding lead dots until it worked the way I wanted. I then proceeded to weigh all the dots I used, then drilled a hole and added that much weight.

I tried adding the lead holes right on the CG, but it worked better for me when placed behind the lip, and another behind the first hook hanger (splitting the total weight between two points). It tracks somewhat better now, but I'm still working on it.

Hope that helps, and maybe some of the more knowledgeable luremakers on this site will be able to help us newbies :D

Brock