Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wsswesty

Catfish Whiskers - Need Advice

13 posts in this topic

I'm currently carving a small catfish lure and I'm trying to figure out how I should do the whiskers. Do you all have any ideas as to what kind of material would be best? They need to be flexible so they will fit in a small lure box. I also want them to look as realistic as possible. Also, I'm working on a crawlfish and need the same kind of advice for the antennae. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Scott - WV

I've tried 3 materials before, spinnerbait skirt material, weed guard material (not flexible) and "cat whiskers" (bow string silencers).

Ok....I think I have some ideas now. Thank you all for you help. I was thinking about using thin strips of silicone or something...LOL.

Scott

You should ask that question in the fly tying forum,I;m sure they would have good ideas.Some fly patterns have rubber legs that can be in different thicknesses.I bought some rubber strips at the fly shop that can be cut to any width.

Tom

B) i use the needles from the bottom of a broom, for the whiskers on my mice, and crayfish, the work well and stay flexible, and come in diffrent colours as well! hope this helps

Etch B)

wsswesty, if you are near any fly shops, you can take a look at "Larvae lace) I have a small amount of black that does the trick..easy to use too :)

I had some larvae lace and it works perfectly. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what to use. I heated it up just a little and bent the whiskers so they would flow backwards. Great idea!!!

Scott