Fishnut

Metalic plating

Over the winter I saw on someone post a link to a website for metallic plating silver, copper and golds, can anyone supply me the web link? I have tried the search under plating and metallic plating without success. I am trying to get the high luster flash as a base before applying C-tex, I have tried the metallic colors from C-tex but get more of a matted stain finish rather that the high metallic flash. Any other suggestion would be appreciated also.

thanks

Fishnut

8oz. for $150? Wow

yeah :? out of my reach, id love to hear a review on this stuff.

yeah barramundi has a good tip, vacuum metalizing is the process used to chrome plastic, like the chrome parts included in scale model car kits. You'll have to source this out though, its an involved process, similar to industrial powdercoating.

the problem with most hobbyist type chrome paints is that the metal pigments suspended in the paint are formulated to float to the surface of the paint coat to achieve that metallic look.

As soon as you put on a protective clearcoat, it dilutes the pigment, making a tarnished looking finish.

I had the big idea of spraying a clear lure body from the inside hoping to protect it from the clearcoat, however it yielded the same results :cry:

good luck if you try Alsa Corp, they have a great looking line of products, we'd love to hear the feedback.

Fishnut,I have a tripple plating system from Caswell.It works great but hardly ever use it anymore.To plate plastic through (electrolosis)sp it requires you to perform a process that will make the plastic conductive.This is done with a copper bath.If you purchase the tripple plating kit from caswell this is the kit to have to do chrome on crank baits.

Negatives:

The bait has to be very clean,preferably fresh and clear or with no paint on it.

A rectophier(again spelling is wrong) required to do large surface area is exspensive.If I remember correctly the rectophier(sp) that comes with the kit i initially purchased was only powerfull enough to do about 25 square inches atatime.

I had considered doing a tutorial on this and still would like to.I just have to many irons in the fire at the moment.If you call the Caswell number and speek to there sales department they will explain all to you.

They are very helpfull people.

Good Luck.B&B

Want a chrome finish, fast cheap and easy?

Do this, if you don't want to chrome the whole bait, mask off the

area you don't want chrome look on.

Spray the bait with, Duro All Purpose Spray Adhesive.

Wait 10 seconds and sprinkle with fine silver glitter.

Wait 10 seconds and wipe the glitter off with your finger.

Rub it with your finger, don't worry, the shine will stay

there. Don't smear any glue over the glitter.

Let it sit overnight and clearcoat, the spray glue will still be tacky,

but this is OK. It will not affect the clear coat.

And the clearcoat willnot affect the shine.

You will have a bait with such a shine, you can't even look at it

in direct sunlight, I promise.

Coley

That is a great tip Coley. :) I've used it on snakehead plugs. You ain't kiddin about not bein able to look at it lol. Makes it a bitch to topcoat! lol

2silver_snakeheads.jpg

B&B I've considered getting that same kit from caswell. If you're not too busy a tutorial would be great! At the caswell site they show a video clip of a wand with a gauze bandage applying the metal. Have you tried this technique?

Tight Lines,

Shawn

Fishnut a cheaper way to go is to find a place where they do plating in your area. I have a friend of mine who has lures plated by a company that does things like baby shoes they charge him about a $1.00 a lure but he does large numbers of lures at a time. He also tells me that they can do wood lures to but it?s a little more complex to do.I hope it helps.