WidowMaker

Price of lead per pound.

The most i have ever paid for lead is $0.25 to $0.35 per pound for the soft stuff and $0.10 to $0.15 per pound for wheel weights.

Im stocked up well enough to last me for quite some time now but last week one of the local scrap dealers was asking $0.65 a pound for wheel weights. About the only use i have for wheel weights is to use as a hardner and also to add a little cheap bulk to the pot.

How much are you guys giving for lead right now???

I pay 20 to 25 for scrap, no batteries, nothing with sheetrock or roof tare stuck to it.

10 cents for wheel wts.

New lead w/antimony (antimony makes the lead hard, I use this for spincasting only) last year was about 70 cents delivered, in 1 ton lots. This year it cost about 85 cents.

One good way to melt large pieces of lead is to take a square shaped sheet of steel and weld two inch sides on it so it resembles a shallow tray. Cut a square shaped notch in one side of the tray.

Set the tray up so it has a gradual tilt to it and build a fire under it.

A long piece of aluminum guttering can be used to catch the melted lead as it pours from the notch. Set some bricks up as guides for the aluminum guttering. When the lead starts to flow pull the guttering along with a pair of vice grips. You should then have long thin strips of lead that can be easily cut to length.

apparently its pretty damn pure. Problem is the 65lb ingot part so its a pain to cut it. Luck me i got friends in metals and also got chop saw w/Metal Blade :D

Dont use a metal blade on a chop saw to cut lead. I use a regular wood blade and goes thru nice.Make sure to wear goggles as the stuff gets thrown around.

OMG where are you getting this lead? Im looking at 2.99 per pound of the popular lure making sites. Let me know that would be great!!!!

Last I talked with Reinke Brothers Tackle in Milwaukee, I was told that pure lead was going for about 80 cents per pound and had been as high as a buck per pound due to the raw materials shortages from the war and other economic factors. And due to this, they had none for sale.

For what it's worth I'll probably get my lead off of eBay. There is a guy selling on there that has pretty good prices. The best deal is the 60 pound box. It figures out to be about $1.20 per pound shipped.

Which to my way of thinking is a heck of a deal.... It's delivered right to my door, ready to pour. I don't have to hit every scrapyard and salvage lot in town and then wonder about the quality/purity of it.

Edited by WiTackleGuy
info

Last I talked with Reinke Brothers Tackle in Milwaukee, I was told that pure lead was going for about 80 cents per pound and had been as high as a buck per pound due to the raw materials shortages from the war and other economic factors. And due to this, they had none for sale.

For what it's worth I'll probably get my lead off of eBay. There is a guy selling on there that has pretty good prices. The best deal is the 60 pound box. It figures out to be about $1.20 per pound shipped.

Which to my way of thinking is a heck of a deal.... It's delivered right to my door, ready to pour. I don't have to hit every scrapyard and salvage lot in town and then wonder about the quality/purity of it.

Give me a call I'm the only brovarney in wauwatosa phone book..... I have a place for you to get lead.