kbkindle

what kind of paint for wood cranks

kbkindle here: as a newbie i have a million questions not a new newbie but a old newbie. ia'm 70 years old, and more you can read from my profile. iam going to try to make wood crankbaits as a HOBBY in the winter time. i do wood working, and retired auto body shop owner.so i know a little bit about different paints as far as cars. have no idea about what is best for wood cranks. have experience with enamel,acrlic enamel, lac, base coat clear coat,water base what would you guys suggest is the best or the most durable. also know how to use a air brush

i have a badger brand.i know enamel is slow drying, lac is pretty quick. water base if you screw up easy to repair, base coat, clear coat can be put on real slick and holds up with the hardner in clear. thanks for help feel free to ask me about any wood working projects or boat fiber glass repairs or jelcoat, or boat trailor painting for we done a lot of work in our shop with local boat dealers.. kbkindle

Welcome aboard KB. Hate to sound patronising (I'm still very Young B) ) but if u use the search function in this board there's a wealth of info for your questions here.

"what is best for wood cranks" actually is dependant on you, after all we are just trying to add color to a lure. I've even used poster color pinch from my kids once. To me what's important is

1. sealing the bare wood properly (ppl here have used linseed oil, paint primer, etex, Devcon, plastidip....) --- to smooth, waterproof & provide a good base for paint to adhere to.

2. A good durable topcoat will pretty much seal ur colors in and provide a gloss to the finish. (the list here includes: Devcon, etex, uretherene (sp?), special epoxy formulations which remained secret :wink: , gel coats for boats have been mentioned [perhaps u an experiment with these since u have experience with it] and many more...

Just do a search with the materials mentioned that should get u started on a month of reading assignment :D Good luck and have fun. An like I've always said,"once u catch the first fish with ur own crank.... oh... god bless you..." :D

Welcome kb. I'm not much of an expert, but use what ever you want. I use water base, just for the clean up.I paint in the basement, so I have to think about the smell. The main concern is to seal the wood first. Some use Kilz. It's a water, and stain sealer. Some dip, or you can get it in a spray can.There are many good people on here. Don't be afraid to ask questions.If someone doesn't know, the next one will. Doug

Welcome KB,

I use water-based paints because they are the safest. I buy some of my paints at Wal-Mart but most of them are made by Createx. I do know of some very talented lure painters tho that use oil-based paints. Make sure the paint is allowed to dry for a couple days before going to a top coat. Oh, and be sure to use a good white primer first. Have fun.

Jed

Parma makes a good paint but a little pricey ( $4 for 2 oz at my local hobby shop) , but it shoots through my (Pasche) just fine without any thinning, they have some neat color change paints as well , it is also flexible when dry which I believe is a plus on a crankbait. Also I haven't had any adverse affects with whatever clear coat I decide to use, epoxy or clear lacquer