bigbrown

glitter

Richoc,

From what I can tell about the spray-on glitter is the medium (if that is the right term) is some sort of light adhesive. What I do is spray over the lure and let the glitter kind of fall onto the bait. A straight shot will give you mixed results, some will be light while others will be real heavy.

Then again I ain't no Chemist or Engineer, I just go with what works for me!

Comes in a pressurized can. Like spo said, spray a light mist and let it fall on the bait. If you hold it 6" away and blast the lure with glitter, then it will cause some issues. Use the same left to right stroke you'd use with the airbrush. Depending on how heavy the fleck effect you want, it typically takes only 1 or 2 light passes from a distance.

Re: mixing glitter in the epoxy, its nothing more than a personal preference that I dont want the entire body of a lure to have glitter. Sure it works fine. Typically if asked, we add fleck to the back section, maybe some on the sides, rarely on the belly though.

Take care.

I put a lot of work in to the paint jobs on my baits.

I would hate to have a delamination of the clear coat because of a unkown reaction with the spray on glitter.

I use laquers, and water bases, heck even spray vinal if I have too.

Rattle cans if need be............

I have had some weird things happen over the years.

I had the sprays wash and bubble the paint job right off.

Did a spray on glitter once.

It was all washed off the bait after a few casts.(test fishing)

I sprinkle in on now in the clear/epoxy coats.

bigbrown is this the effect you are looking for?

This is red size .004 glitter and silver size .008 glitter.

This glitter is applied way before the topcoat.The picture does not show it but the glitter application on this bait looks as if it very deep in the lure's back.The topcoat is as smooth as silk and absolutly no demples.

I have never had a problem with the topcoat or glitter coming off.Sorry the pic is not better.

Blades

The first pic looks like it is very rough on the top but as you can see on down it is very smooth. The focus is out some.

dsc00949_286.jpg

dsc00953_521.jpg

dsc00951_161.jpg

dsc00949_286.jpg

dsc00953_521.jpg

dsc00951_161.jpg

dsc00949_286.jpg

dsc00953_521.jpg

dsc00951_161.jpg

dsc00949_286.jpg

dsc00953_521.jpg

dsc00951_161.jpg

dsc00949_286.jpg

dsc00953_521.jpg

dsc00951_161.jpg

dsc00949_286.jpg

dsc00953_521.jpg

dsc00951_161.jpg

dsc00949_286.jpg

dsc00953_521.jpg

dsc00951_161.jpg

dsc00949_286.jpg

dsc00953_521.jpg

dsc00951_161.jpg

1534_thumb.attach

1536_thumb.attach

1537_thumb.attach

Glitter application is like everything else a personal choice, mixed in the clearcoat it goes on over the entire bait, some like this effect, I personally just want my glitter on the back no more than 1/2 down sides. You can sprinkle it on before paint dries and then clearcoat over it. Have been playing with the clear glitter paint in the craft section at Walmart lately, this might have some future for me, it is a water based paint that dries clear and leaves only the glitter showing, currently I have been brushing it on .

BLADES AND BAITS

You paint some of the best looking baits that I have ever seen, the one you show in this post is not exception, BEAUTIFUL

Baitmaker,thank you for the kind words.Considering the company I am keeping on this site I take that as a compliment among the highest forms.

I have learned much from these other guys here in the last year and feel sure I will learn much more.

If anyone is interested polyflake glitter found at Micheals and Hobby Lobby lay's on the lure about as flat as I have ever seen.It also comes in a handy salt type shaker with adjustable head.It's about $4.00 per container and will last a long time.

Thanks again Blades.