FiR3 TiG3R

foiling on detailed wooden lures

dear all,

hi guys, this will be my 1st time posting a question. i just wanna know how to go around aluminium foiling a detailed wooden lure. is it possible? i mean over the gills, grooves, eye sockets etc etc. do i need to use multiple pieces of cut alum foil, eg. for the head, the gills, the body? can i use the same piece of foil for the entire length of the lure? any help would gladly be appreciated n thannx in advance. cheers! :D

dear all' date='

hi guys, this will be my 1st time posting a question. i just wanna know how to go around aluminium foiling a detailed wooden lure. is it possible? i mean over the gills, grooves, eye sockets etc etc. do i need to use multiple pieces of cut alum foil, eg. for the head, the gills, the body? can i use the same piece of foil for the entire length of the lure? any help would gladly be appreciated n thannx in advance. cheers! :D[/quote']

Just partial help here; Use the cheapest Foil you can find as that is usually the flimsiest, hence the thinnest. The stuff that almost tears just by touching it lends itself best to foiling small baits and ones with detail. JMHO

Like SpoRoller says.

But I use the "kitchen sink" foil (the thick stuff) cause then there's more material to rub & work it into the recess without breaking. Push slowly into the recess with a burnishing tool so u "stretch" the foil into the details & not tear it. (plastic spatula work well or u can buy these Micro-Mark Burnishing set )

husky, sporoller, lapala,

thanx for the advice. just encountered this 'road block' in my progress. will work on the lure sometime later. when it's done i'll post the pics in the near future...i wonder when will i have the time to sit down n work on it....sigh....just the thought of an unfinished lure is just unacceptable! ahaha... so much for luremaking 'poison'...thanx for enlightening me guys

sporoller,

why not dye all of em them white? i think uniform white is pretty cool... :D

As you found out, you can't rush the process. Once you have done a few of them it gets easier and a little faster but you still have to take your time. Keep at it and you will figure it out.

My first few attempts at foiling were atrocities but now I feel I am pretty decent at it.