kbkindle

crankbait lip angle

kbkindle here :when making wood crankbaits when do you cut the wood to make lip slot. and how do you cut slot. is there a certian standard for angle. like a big o crank 1/3 oz has a small bill and dives about 5 ft then a bandit lure same size has a larger bill but also dives 5 ft?

and both have the same angle. is this a try and error thing.

thanks for help ken kindle

kbkindle here :when making wood crankbaits when do you cut the wood to make lip slot. and how do you cut slot. is there a certian standard for angle. like a big o crank 1/3 oz has a small bill and dives about 5 ft then a bandit lure same size has a larger bill but also dives 5 ft?

and both have the same angle. is this a try and error thing.

thanks for help ken kindle

My practice with through-wire cranks:

I cut first the shape of lure, then the slot for wire. This slot helps me to keep the symmetry. Then carve and sand. I use a metal sheet, that fits snugly into the belly slot, and can be fastened in a vise. It makes sanding comfortable. I cut the lip slot in this phase too, as I can stabilize in this way the lure for sawing.

Others cut the lip slot before carving. Probably it's easier to get it right this way, but on other hand, you should take care of the lip slot while carving. It's up to you.

As for angle, it depends on the pattern you duplicate.

As a rule of thumb, I try to keep the slot parallel to the forehead of the lure (watching of profile). The steeper the angle, the shallower the lure dives.

folk

The Big O is made of balsa, the Bandit is made of plastic. If the baits are the same size, then this is what is causing the difference in the lip. Just because baits appear to be the same ........ there is always something different. Like Tally said, do a search and you will find your answers.

Skeeter