GARYS LURES

tape paint lines

i don't use a gun just cans and brush for the details.how do you remove tape lines when you paint multiple colorers like say white on bottom black on top and some other color in the middle.i wet sand them with 800 grit but it still messes up the colors.is there a better way.or am i doing something wrong.thanks.

Hi Gary,

Not exactly sure what you are asking but will try to help. I generally don't use tape. Try to do your painting without any tape if possible. For example you could spray on a yellow body, then come across the top with the black for the back and then the belly with white. If a bit of black or white creeps up the sides that's fine as most fish have a bit of this naturally anyway. If you want to prevent paint from hitting some areas try shielding the area with a piece of cardboard. Hold the cardboard back from the bait several inches and this will keep you from getting a real defined and unnatural looking line. You can add in gills, lines, etc., by cutting shapes out of playing cards or overhead projector material and using these as stencils. Eventually get yourself an airbrush, you will love it. Have fun.

Jed