fatfingers

Yet another experiment...

pearlcopperglider1.jpg

pearlcoppergliderbottomview1.jpg

Above are a couple of shots of a glider I finished using the plastic for the body.

The glider runs deep and has a fast action, which is something I favor in a musky bait. I like the bait to dart at speed to trigger strikes.

The grandma type bait that I posted previously on this thread (the one that sort of glows in the light) was a failure. It will not run. I'm finding that the properties of the plastic do not lend themselves to a floating type bait. Although the plastic does in fact float, it seems to have a minimal amount of bouyancy and sinks easily...therefore the minnow-type bait tends to roll over too easily.

This evening I was out musky fishing (scored a nice fat 36 incher by the way), and I tried the bait shown below (prior to painting it this time :lol: }....it runs excellent. I had it going 5.5 mph while trolling and it ran straight and well.

monstershadwannabe.jpg

Thanks, Jed. I've been trying out this copper pearl stuff on the backs of a few of the baits and its something that you can't really photograph. If you shoot it over black, which I did on the orangish bait shown above, it turns from black to a striking copper color in the light. I also shot red and white pearls on the same bait.

The bottom one isn't finished of course, but I put on eyes on it to get a feel for the perspective prior to painting and I knew I'd be trying it on the water to see if it would run and while I've never caught anything in the way of musky or pike with an all white lure...you never know.

I visited my local plastic supplier again the other day. Things went well. I was able to acquire some 3/4 inch material.

emeraldmonster.jpg

Here's the finished plastic cranker. I've never tried this emerald color for muskies; it makes me horny but we'll have to see if the beast gets the same reaction. So far I'm pleased with the way it runs. I may have to reinforce the plastic lip with a pin or a screw because the musky has been known to rip them clean off after the strike.

On that note, I'm trying this one this weekend...

emeraldflatbait.jpg

Emeraldflatbaittopview.jpg

Its made of popular and seems almost too thin for musky-type stressing, but it runs well. I'm sort of wondering how thin a bait can be before they are able to rip the hook hangers out. 8O

On your next trip to the plastic supply place could you please ask them what the material really is? It almost sounds like a foamed PVC or ABS since you say it is porous after shaping. I may be wrong but I can't imagine it is UHMW or "cutting board" material (polyethylene) since nothing (paint or adhesive) will bond to it long term. I'm very curious to know what this material actually is. Thanks

Bo, I will ask next time.

The material has a porous texture to it after sanding/shaping. Prior to that it is smooth. But I'll find out what specific type of plastic we're talking here and post it.

So far, using the plastic, I've made glidebaits, and crankbaits which worked fine, and a stickbait (grandma type bait) and a jerkbait, which failed.

The stuff has a property which seems to lie somewhere between floating and nuetrally buoyant. Any weight added to the bait, even hook hangers and hooks, causes it to sink slowly.

Good looking baits again FF. I think you could go very thin with the bait and not worry about breakage. So long as the screw eye can get a good hold I doubt there is much to worry about. I do worry tho about using soft wood like basswood for musky and similar sized critters. I haven't had a bait fail with basswood but don't use it anymore for musky baits because of the above mentioned concerns.

I would also be interested in knowing what type of plastic this is and what exactly they are using it for.

Jed

Tried foiling for the first time and found a trick that I'd like to share...

Most of you probably know of this one, but for what its worth...

I glued plain old aluminum foil onto the body, trimmed it with the exacto knife and then applied scales as follows:

Take the bait and stretch some netting over the bait...burnish the netting pattern into the foil gently but thoroughly...I used a popsicle stick to burnish

meshtrick.jpg

Here's how it looks when its done...

meshtrick1.jpg

meshtrick2.jpg

Hey Chubby Nubs,

Your membership card to the MONSTER GARAGE LURE BUILING CLUB is in the mail. Art Brush dubbed me with the Title of Pres. but after catching you act, I see I have a Compatriot.B)

Our Motto is; "To heck with confomity!"

Very Nice Work, BTW. I'd like to see a Photo/Foil finish on one of those Pretty Puppies you make. Keep them coming.

Can you use a router on that plastic? TIA

Chubby nubs? I think the women use to call me that...or was it Stubby Chub? Can't remember... :D

I don't know if you could use a router on the plastic or not, Husky. I tried to talk a buddy of mine into letting me use his lathe on the stuff to see if it could be turned; at first he agreed and then he got cold feet. (What a wussy. What's the worse that could happen? Plastic melting and steel fragments flying? Right? So you wear a helmet. What's the big deal, right?)

Thanks for the Monster Lure Garage compliments. As a newbie wannabe on the board, it feels good.