finlander

lip length/thru wire placement on that lip

I know this has been discussed prior. I did a search but it did not respond. I would like a refresher on where to put the wire on the lip, depending on the lip length extending beyond the nose of the bait. Lately I have been lucky, more guessing than anything else. Is there a general rule on where to place the wire? Thanks, the Finn.

finlander,

It is a trial and error thing.

savacs

I was the one that put that the line tie should not go past the half way mark on the lip. But I was talking about baits for bass fishing. All of my baits are less than 4 inches long. On baits that size I start to loose wobble in my baits with the line tie 3/4 of the way out on the lip. In my early days of bait making, every lure that had the line tie out toward the end of the lip had no wiggle at all. The bait just came in straight. From reading posts from guys that make musky plugs I see that different things work for those large baits that will not work for a smaller one. How big is the bait that you are making with the line tie out that far?

Skeeter

I ayn't talking about big baits! The largest bait i ever made is a 4 yncher, and that's a jointed one. The lures i'm talking about are 1'1/2" to 2' long. Not longer than that. I never tryed on larger baints than these.

This lures have a really tight wobble, but you need a bit of an angle on the lip. You cant put the line tie like this, on a bait that has a perfect horizontal lip. No way, that this will work on such a lure.

I'm talking about something like this. Sorry for the poor quality pics, but fr the moment couldn't d better. This is a 4cm lure, with a 4cm lip :P . It has a really thight wobble.

picture_50_343.jpg

picture_48_188.jpg

picture_50_343.jpg

picture_48_188.jpg

picture_50_343.jpg

picture_48_188.jpg

picture_50_343.jpg

picture_48_188.jpg

picture_50_343.jpg

picture_48_188.jpg

picture_50_343.jpg

picture_48_188.jpg

picture_50_343.jpg

picture_48_188.jpg

picture_50_343.jpg

picture_48_188.jpg

1542_thumb.attach

1543_thumb.attach

Now that is radical!!! Right now my patterns are this; 8, 12, 14 and 17 inch. Probably goin to quit one of the middle sizes. Last on was a 14 with a 4 1/2" lip with 3" outside the body. Line tie placement looks like a 1/3 of the way out to the tip.