NuttyGambler

General pouring order advice request.

OK, I have just started out with this, but hit it hard with plenty of $ invested in AL molds, glitter, colors etc. So need to maximize my "investment". This is purely for my own (maybe fishing partners too) use.

Note: I use a microwave and heat just to the point that it becomes liquid.

In general if you have a thin tail do you pour that first or last?

Let's take Bob's Bv mold.

What order do you pour them?

AND. How do you get the timing right to add extra plastic so that the body doesn't get thin and indented without coming apart in layers?

I'm using a microwave, and end up heating the plastic so many times from the first to the last pour with 4oz that the color is so much darker at the end.

Sorry for the stupid questions, and I know with experience I should improve in these areas. But, if I can cut the learning curve, a little thought I had to ask. Thanks again.

Perry:

Sounds like you are not heating your plastic quite enough. I usually use 4 to 6oz (sometimes 8oz) of plastic in my cups. Usually, I heat for 2 minutes, check out the plastic and heat again for 30 seconds.

Then I add flake and coloring, then nuke again for 30 seconds, add scent and pour. Of course, you want to stir between each time you heat.

I pour the beaver body first, pouring the stream into the "head" area until the body cavity is full but not running over to the tail or flaps. Then, I go up to the first flap, down across the body to the lower flap and finally to the tail. If you pour a little stream as you are crossing from the top to the bottom flap, the body will be full...

The only baits I pour from the tail first are my jig trailers. All the rest, I go from the body to the tail. If there are legs, etc. like a lizard, I will fill the body first, go to the top legs, fill a little more in the body and then do the other legs before the tail.

The only way for you to get comfortable and to get what works for you is to practice. Trail and error will get you there!!! Soon, you will be a pro!!!

Jim

PS The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked!!! Also, remember to use the search function under TU search and Search Forums. You could read for months on most topics as there is some great info that has been posted by the real experts in soft plastics!!!!

Thanks Jim:

So am I correct in assuming you do not add more plastic as the body cools? I guess, I am so use to the two sided ones I want her extra thick, and as it cools seems to shrink and get a dimple vein down the belly. Adding extra does seem to be causing me extra problems though.

I also think you are right that I am often pouring a little cool, too scared to scorch it.

Perry

Texasbass1, thanks for the tip. I just tried to pour multicolored into the "zipper" molds I made. Had to get the red hot to flow into the teeth, and it faded.

I wonder what happened to the search button? I was going to leave a tip for using it, and I can't find it. It has been extremely helpful to find information on specific subjects.

jm

It is on the TU search button.

I pour a 4" split tail zipper worm and don't have a problem getting it to fill. It is an aluminum mold that may make a difference. You may try coating your mold with Pam or worm oil so the plastic will flow smoother, or use Devon epoxy as a coating, it may be that the mold is causing some resistance keeping the plastic from flowing smoothly.

Good luck