woodenfeather

Locating hook and wireform in mold?

Hi guys,

I just got a spinner bait mold and have a question. When I place the hook and wire form into the mold there isn't any way of securing them vertically. The mold allows about 3/8" of movement up and down. I just let gravity dictate where it should be but I'm afraid the "joint" is too far back in the head which would make it weak. I was thinking about attaching some small brackets to one outside surface and then attaching a magnet to come in flush with the inside surface. Have any of you had this problem or is it unique to this mold? (do-it ultra minnow in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2). I like the fact that I can shorten the arm/lengthen the hook and vise verse but I just need a way of keeping it where I want it when pouring.

I have the same mold, nice head, but not much thought put into it for the person using it. I try to place the hook and wire form connection in the meatiest part of the bait. This way there are no flaws when poured as the lead has plenty of room to flow around the inserts. On the 1/4 oz. they say to use .035 wire. Using the recommended wire size should allow the wire to be clamped by the mold and not flop around once the mold is closed. Mine flip-flops all around, making it very difficult to hand pour. The 3/8 and 1/2 oz. with the .040 wire works just fine. On other spinner molds I have glued a small piece of wood to the top of the mold to act as a clamp on the wire when the mold is closed and assuring the arm is lined up exactlty with the head. I only wish this mold could be poured from a pot rather than by hand, in my opinion - poor design.

George Reeves

H & P Tackle

Welch, OK

I pour with a streight wire and clamp the mold, and hold wire with not pouring hand.

If you use larger hooks it is a must to get them placed in just the right spot.

Or the hook eye comes throught the sides.

Have in the past made dimples in the wire slots to hold the wire in place but they ware back down.

Works for a while.

I use the same method as Heavycover but I use the thumb from the same hand that holds the mold to put downward pressure on the wire to keep it from falling deeper into the mold. Of course this is only for the cavity closest to your hand, unless you have crazy long thumbs 8O .

Mr B

I guess that I would be the other user that Richoc is talking about.... He drove 4 hours to twist my arm for the secret.... It is a much easier method, and you should not have to repeat it after you do it the first time.

I wish that I had my camera working so that I could just take a picture for you, but unfortunately I don't, so I will try to explain.

First, you will need some high temp masking tape. I use the green polyester tape that is normally used for powder coating. The best size is 1/2" wide. You can find some at here ... (ebay) (kinda spendy, but I have gotten some powder coat from this seller before, and they ship right away, friendly too )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42927&item=7527827189&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Or you can get some from Here...

http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_tape.html

I have purchase this tape from these guys, shipping starts out high, but if you can buy other stuff it will make it worth while...

Ok, now for the good stuff...

Take your newly acquired tape and put a few layers on the bottom part of the mold where your hook is. do this on both sides until your hook is clamped into place by the tape. You don't want too much, or you will get flashing around the head...

Also, with this method, you will need to crimp the wire onto the hook so that it stays where it should too.

I use the H style head, and I have been using the same tape for about 15,000 to 20,000 pours... and it still does the job.

I suppose a guy could use regular masking tape for only a few heads at a time, but I have found that in order to get a good head 98% of the time, you need to head the mold up to about 300 degrees or more before starting, so hence the high temp tape.

I have also tried doing the dimple method, and I have tried using high temp RTV in the wire slot, neither will work for very long, bit it is an option if you only plan to make a couple hundred spinnerbaits for your tackle box.

sorry for the book sized post, but I do believe that my ways are always the best... :D Hope it helps.

I have attached a picture for your viewing pleasure. It is my Stars and Stripes lure. These Colors Don't Fade.

stars_and_stripes_166.jpg

1550_thumb.attach

OK here is my fix for the same problem........I took a centering punch and and lightly "peened" the edges of the wire slot (at the head end and where it exits the top of the mold) to displace the metal into the slot so it would firmly hold the wire form in place while pouring. Haven't had to do this with hook slots but I'd imagine it will work for that too........

I hope you see this because i got a simple fix.. i have the same mold and here is what i do. first thing i should let you know is i use .035 wire on all sizes so in the larger cavities the wire slips so heres what to do to fix it...fires get an envelope and tear off a piece about 1/8in. square from the sticky part. then after you heat up your mold to start pouring stick the piece of paper you tore off to the opposite side of the mold where you place your wireform. line it up to get it where you want and close the mold. now your wire will stay put and you'll notice that the paper stays on so you'll be able to keep pouring a alot of baits before you have to get a new piece of paper. I have poured over 50 baits without having 1 slip. Let me know if it works for you...good luck