AaronM

Wood Lips?

Hi,

I have seen that most people use lexan for the lips or whatever they are called. Why doesn't anyone use wood. I just completed my first five lures and I used thin plywood (about 3/32" thick) to make the lips and I covered them with all the sealers, paint, and epoxy just like the body. Is there something that I don't know? Are my wood lips not the way to go? I was just wondering if I should purchase some lexan, lol. :D

Thanks!

Aaron

It should work for a limited time, but I would be concerned about the longevity of it working, especially if you play around rocks and structure. The lip is going to get knocked around... if cracks develope, then water will get in the lip/wood causing it to expand, swell and initially become heavy (water-logged) Overtime I would think it would warp or rot if not caught and fixed immediately upon the first crack.

Hopefully I'm incorrect, but my experience above is based on repairing wooden body lures that develope holes or cracks. Let us know how it holds up.