texasbass1

Discolored plastic

I'm kinda curious why you're soaking them in worm oil? It seems like I'm reading this a lot lately.

Worm oil is not necessary! I never use it. But that's just my preference. I have worms in bags that have been there for a year without oil with no problems. As long as your worms are stored inside of good quality air tight bags and kept out of direct sunlight, you shouldn't have any problems.

It sounds to me like the worm oil is penetrating the plastic (which it should do) and causing the colors to bleed and change. I do however add a little bit of scented worm oil to each cup of plastic. Just to help get rid of any plastic scent. I then add scent to each bag before bagging the worms.

I do add a few drops of worm oil to stop the baits from sticking to each other so bad but definitely do not soak them....

I have found that even the ones that are left for months do not discolor or bleed. I use worm oil from Del with some added "scent" from Upper Hand Scents to flavor the baits even more than just the amount I put in when making the baits.

I guess experimenting by pouring a few of those baits and storing them with no oil or just scent might give you a clue.

Any chance there was any water on the baits or in the bag you stored them in?? I have seen the humidity + worm oil dull colors up pretty bad.

Jim

I had read a couple of posts about cooking in scent and one suggestion to keep it from evaporating was to put them in a plastic container overnight with some worm oil. By soaking I didn't really mean soaking just in a container with some oil poured on them. My real confusion came because it didn't happen the last time I did this and I didn't do anything different. There wasn't any bleeding because the baits themselves didn't change just the tails. I dip all my tails anyway so if doesn't matter, I was just curious if anyone had any ideas.

I think some scents (like berkley's) have a little water in them. I've lost some baits in an open bag in the boat that went through some rain and weather, and came out pretty whitish. That might have something to do with the color problem being discussed on another thread. Something unplanned is happening to the plastic. The trick is to find out what it is.

http://www.tackleunderground.com//board/viewtopic.php?t=5872

jm

I'm not sure how but I must have gotten some water mixed in with the worms in the container. I laid them out on some newspaper in the sun yesterday evening for a couple of hours and low and behold the color came back. Enough to drive a man to drink, guess I will.

Thanks everyone for your imput