saint308

Pics of my first laminates

Zero. I quit using salt because I fish mostly shallow water (2-4 ft.) here in south Louisiana. The salt made the bait sink too fast. If I use any, I use 1-2 dashes per 2 ounces of plastic. My measuring spoons are labled smidgen, pinch and dash. The top bait you see is my effort for making a bream color. The bream in south Louisiana are a dark purple on top with an orange belly. Thanks for your input. Saint.

Saint brings up a must have for all that pour soft plastics...The measuring spoons from Walmart that are labeled smidgen, pinch and dash.

You can use these to measure flake, salt, powder, etc in very accurate amounts.

All my recipes have them listed now.

BTW Saint...Do you add softener still to your sticks??? Do they wiggle like the senko does??? Just curious as I use a lot of sticks down here in GA and like you, the water is shallow. I've had a problem getting the characterstic wiggle with little or no salt..

So far, they catch fish better than average and are WAY easier to pour without the salt...

Jim

GABassNerd: I am almost embarrassed to say this, but I have only been able to fish with my lures one time in a private pond (I have only been pouring for about a month) . I did throw them in a swimming pool to check out sink rates. The bait itself did not really quiver that well on the fall, but once you lift your rod the bait does provide decent action. I have my brother who is a serious fisherman trying them and giving me input. To answer your question about softner, no I do not use any. My recipes only include plastic, glitter, dye and sometimes salt. I am experimenting with using garlic salt now. I am not real knowledgable about using softner, worm oil etc (as you can tell by my numerous posts asking for help). I will just continue experimenting until the fish tell me (or my brother) I have made the right mixture. This is all one giant work in progress. I have spent a galllon of plastic trying to find the exact bait I want to replicate (still have not found it). Maybe one day I will figure it out, but until then I will continue drinking cold drinks, pouring and having a ball. Good luck Saint.

GaBassNerd: If you get a second, please explain to me the uses of softner. Do you use it? I understand the purpose, but how much do you use per ounce of plastic? Does it allow your bait to have that much more action? Also, does the bait become less durable? My brother did mention that he thought my baits were kind of hard, and asked if I could make them softer. Any tips you can think would be greatly appreciated. All baits are for personal use. Thanks. Saint.

I'm just getting in on this one, so please forgive me if this question has been answered..........but what brand of plastic are you using? They all vary greatly in texture. This might explain why your brother thinks the baits are hard.

Out here in the west, softener is a MUST. In fact, I don't make anything without it. I use Calhoun plastic and add 1 cup of softener per gallon, but this will vary depending on preference.

By the way, your laminates look great. Keep up the good work!

Hey Saint... Just sitting back reading your adventures for a while and it's time I SAID a few things...

First, "YOU COME A LONG WAY... BABY" ! ! ! Your baits look GOOD!

Second, I use calhouns plastics and I ALSO put in softner, 'bout 3/4 cup per gallon, in EVERYTHING.

Third, I use NO SALT to make my plastics sink. I use Franks ( SENKO SAM) sugar flakes. I get ALL the "Wiggle" I need out of my stick baits with it. When I am pouring laminate BEEVERZ ( opsss my name for them) BEAVERS, I only use sugar flakes in the body portion. THEN I ADD a little more ( 1 TSP per 4 oz) softner to the tail and flapper pour. Makes for great action.

WE have some great guys in here and they won't steer you wrong. Just remember, not all baits will come out the same for every pourer. We all have our little tricks that we do to make our baits special. When you find yours.... you won't part with it.

Have a great day and keep on .... POURIN'

uses of softner:

but how much do you use per ounce of plastic?

1/4 cup per cup of plastic (a little less if only used as a fast moving jerk worm)

Does it allow your bait to have that much more action?

Most definitely!

Also, does the bait become less durable?

Most definitely! and more so with salt. Crystal salt breaks up a plastic's continuity and cohesion, making it easily torn, but contributes to the fall and fast finesse-flutter of both ends, as long as enough softener is used.

Unlike manufactured baits, the handpourer has control over the compromise between action and durablity and therefore the use of salt and softener for different lure functions.

This is a personal opinion and theory, so don't hold me to it, but I think bass somehow can sense or feel a bait's density and texture. Maybe by how it moves and how fast it falls with no lead. The primary reason for Senko's magic, may be because a fish senses this before ever mouthing a salted stick. The softness and grainy texture may be what causes a fish to swallow a plastic worm or stick like a kid slurping down 7" spaghetti, after taking the bait off bottom. (By the way, my partner cut open the stomach of a 2 3/4 lb bass and found 3 salted sticks and 2 regular worms!) I use sugar flakes for increased density and easier weighting.

A jerkworm is more like a hard jerkbait, so softness doesn't need to be as much as for a horizontal dropper or dropshot finesse worm.

Nice lams. Any air pockets?

FrankM