Max

Do you think it is possible to make a mold of this ?

Hello everybody,

I've just come back from Austria where I was studying .... I had found your awesome website there ... and got to loose the address somehow ...

I remember I posted one question about a popper ... But I eventually got to find your site once again ... I've been reading most of the hardbait section over the past few days ! Awesome job you guys did ..

I'm actually totally new when it comes to make mold ... I used to carve wood a few years ago ... and I had time to kill last year so I thought that was a great idea to carve some pieces of softwood .. which I did ...

But you know you just can cast such a soft stuff in the water for bass .. so I'm trying to understand the process of making mold out of RTV to cast copies in Foam .... But I'm wondering whether it is possible to do so with the proto on the pictures ... As y'all can see the first section has a V-shapped back ... and I'm not sure it would be able to release that part from the mold once it's been casted in ! Do you guys have an idea ? Should I try it and see if it works (and risk to loose the balsa proto) ?

Cause a mold in RTV is not flexible, is it ?

I would appreciate your help since you guys are almost professionals ... and I know nothing about casting foamies

If I can have a little bit of success with my first attempt at casting foamies I think I'm gonna become a new addict .

Thanks y'all,

Max

projet3_117.jpg

projet2_110.jpg

projet1_191.jpg

projet3_117.jpg

projet2_110.jpg

projet1_191.jpg

projet3_117.jpg

projet2_110.jpg

projet1_191.jpg

projet3_117.jpg

projet2_110.jpg

projet1_191.jpg

projet3_117.jpg

projet2_110.jpg

projet1_191.jpg

projet3_117.jpg

projet2_110.jpg

projet1_191.jpg

projet3_117.jpg

projet2_110.jpg

projet1_191.jpg

projet3_117.jpg

projet2_110.jpg

projet1_191.jpg

1561_thumb.attach

1562_thumb.attach

1563_thumb.attach

Hey Max,

Here's one possible solution.

I feel your fear of loosing all the hard work you put into the model. What you could do is set the model up as if you were going to cast it out of a hard agent i.e, Erethane Rubber over 60 shore hardness or Bondo(Seal and clear coat the balsa so it will give the mold a smooth cavity). Instead, use DAP silicone and a few drops of water. (See the clam mold tutorial for more details.) This should allow for easy removal and pick up all the detail. Cast resin in that mold, and use the resin casting for the model in your harder mold.

Thanks Husky for the quick response ....

Actually I first thought also that the trick was to make another plastic copy (not supposed to ever go in the water) That would be less risky that way ... And then I was like, maybe a silicon rtv mold is flexible enough to cast foam in it and still be able to get the copy out of the mold .... (eventhough there are huge "under cuts" (not sure of that word)

Cheesehead : That's also what I'm going to do ... I will cast the two sections separaty .. way easier that way !

Thanks for your great advice, I'll wait a bit to see if somebody already had the same problem ...and maybe the solution .

Max

Thanks Husky for the quick response ....

Actually I first thought also that the trick was to make another plastic copy (not supposed to ever go in the water) That would be less risky that way ... And then I was like' date=' maybe a silicon rtv mold is flexible enough to cast foam in it and still be able to get the copy out of the mold .... (eventhough there are huge "under cuts" (not sure of that word)

RTV is definitely soft enough but the problem with that is that the pressure produced by the expanding foam will distort the casting in a soft mold mediam. From what I saw, your model doesn't seem to have Undercut problems. That's why I prefer the harder mediums.

Cheesehead : That's also what I'm going to do ... I will cast the two sections separaty .. way easier that way !

Thanks for your great advice, I'll wait a bit to see if somebody already had the same problem ...and maybe the solution .

Max[/quote']

So Thanks guys for your answers ... gonna follow your tips ...

Gotta get to shop tomorrow to buy the different stuff like rtv silicone and urethane etc ....

And I think I'll try to pour my first mold ever this week ... Hopefully, it won't turn into a disaster .... Check the news :?

Thanks again,

Max