muskymaj

Help with through wire construction for newbie please

Hi all:

I have just started making lures, but have been thinking about it for a long time. This forum has been of great help. I am making a 12" drop belly shad style trolling bait and want to do thru wire construction. I can't find any pictures of how to do this. I plan on drilling down thru the center of the bait from nose to tail and run a .061" wire out thru a lexan lip I have made. How do I get the other hooks off the belly attached to this wire? I am open to any advice. I really don't want to split the lure longitudnally in to 2 halves to do this.

Could some one offer some advice (w picyures would be great!)

Thank you very much

Mike J

Usually barrel swivels are used to connect to the through wire to make the hook hangers.

Here is a thread on the Stripers Online forum that demonstrates drilling the through hole. There is another thread discussing making the nose and tail loops:

http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=002818

It was also discussed here at TU without pictures:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5609&highlight=

BTW, Jig Man is known as APB here at Tackle Underground, he really knows his stuff.

You can get grommets at a fabric store. They should be with the needles, snaps and other things those folks call "Notions". You'll want a size the fits snuggly into the holes. In fact, you might want to round up the grommets first, then decide on the size of the holes. The inside diameter of the grommet should be such that the barrel swivel has a little room to move around.

Show us some pictures of your progress, please. :)

With no confidence that I can drill a hole exactly from nose to tail, I cut the bait in half longitudinally, groove out the wire frame shape and ballast pocket with a Dremel and lay in the wire. 5 min epoxy the halves back together. This method also gives balsa baits a very sturdy epoxy backbone

My preferred method is how FiR3 TiG3R photos show. I have tried drilling from nose to tail, then tail to nose, but it has never worked for me.

I also like the weight of the epoxy, or filler, to be in the lower half of the bait. Depending on what depth you are wanting from the bait, sometimes this is all the added weight or ballast that is needed. I make jerk/twitch baits for musky and don't always want them to dive for the bottom. Very shallow over weed beds can produce some great fish.

Spinner