saint308

Brush Hog Pours

I just got my brush hog mold in and tried to pour a few. It seems like it is nearly impossible to pour these without having an overflow. This means you have to go back and trim each one. Do any of you know any secrets to make this better? I tried putting the mold on a slight angle, but not any different. Tried hot plastic, cooler plastic all with the same results. I am not sure it worth all the trouble. Is there a two piece brush hog mold available? Thanks. Saint.

Saint,

I don't believe there is a two piece for the brush hog type baits. I have Del's mold and it does take practice to learn to pour, but once you get the hang of it, it's no harder than any other mold.

Here are my tips:

1.) Make sure you use heat stabilizer in your plastic and get it really hot, it needs to be very runny. This will help you control your pours much, much better.

2.) Start with the tails and then move through the rest of the mold. If your plastic is hot enough, per #1, you'll have no problems with the 'wings' on the body at all.

3.) Practice, practice, practice.

It's a very fun, and productive, mold to pour! Just keep at it!

-Danny

Have any of you been able to pour one color body and another color tail? I tried this and it came out OK, but the plastic connecting the two pieces is very thin. I would imagine any fish that grabs just the tail will pull them apart. Any of you guys have any experience with this? Thanks. Saint.

Saint

Are you pouring from an alum or stainless measuring cup?

if you are make sure you dont fill it up more than 1/6th of the way.

you need to be able to almost turn your pouring cup 80-90 degrees so you have control with the plastic. Other wise it will run down the side to the bottom of the pouring pan.

Dont try to pour it with a pyrex it just wont work.

blending colors is very easy just over lap them a tad

Also when pouring the tail pour from the back of the tail to the front of the wings on each tail.

and pour in the center of it not the edges( let the flow fill the sides)

when pouring the wings follow them around from the middle of the body to the other side then fill the body up.

Delw

I buy the stainless steel measureing cup set from wal-mart.

Since I dont put them on a burner and heat my plastic up in the microwave they work perfect.

if you do need to keep the cups warm I recomned a griddle and set them on there, never set them on a burner cause they will burn the plastic.

if you dont have a griddle go but a cheap pan you can lay on the burner. the pan will disburse the heat more evenly keeping the plastic from burning.

Delw

Thanks to all. One more quick question. I use a microwave to heat plastic. My mom used to scream at me for putting forks and spoons anythingmetal in the microwave. Should I heat the plastic in a Pyrex and transfer to metal cup for pouring? It may be a dumb question, but better safe then sorry. Thanks. Saint.

Hi everyone this is my first post here. I've been visiting the site for a while reading and picking up a few things so i thought I'd drop one of my tips here.

I pour from the aluminum pots when i over pour or want to make sure I have consistent thickness in the tails, I keep a 4" long piece of Stainless angle Iron on my burner. When I finish the pour I pick up the angle iron with a pair of pliers and strike off the mold. Excess plastic will come off on the iron and can be wiped on a piece of rag. There will be some flashing but it is easily removed. I strike off from the tail to the body.

I hadn't seen this mentioned before and thought I would add it.

Hope it helps someone.