GARYS LURES

hardware store line eyes

i ran out of line and hook eyes.so i picked up a pack at lows.the same size and shape of my jann's eyes.i was trying to screw them into a hard wood bait and had 2 break.the second time i even drilled a 1/32nd hole and it still broke just before i had it all the way in.I'm sure they are a lower grade.but did any of you ever have problems using these? :?:

I have had screw eyes from just about everyone break at one point or another. I haven't ever tried screw eyes from the hardware store tho, maybe they are from a softer metal. I always pre-drill the hole so as to prevent breakage. Funny that you mention this as I had one break while installing it on the nose of a bait today while preparing to give it a test -cast or two. ;)

Try going up a couple sizes on the screw eyes, the real large guys rarely break.

jed

screw eye secret is to pre-drill hole, use stainless whenever possible, or at least use the stainless to screw into the pre-drilled hole, then unscrew the stainless and screw the plated ones into the hole, turn with pliers very slowly as not to overheat the plated eye, the heat created by the screw turning into the wood is what causes it to break