whitley

Salt

Sam's Club, Costco.,........these types of places should have bulk quantities of popcorn salt. I looked in my yellow pages under "popcorn" and sure enough.......there is a popcorn supply company not far from my place. You might try that first. I pay 24.95 for a case of the stuff.

I get 50# of salt at my local AGWAY store. It is not popcorn salt but it only costs $7.95 for 50# and I flour it with a coffee grinder that costs $13.00 from Wally World. It is FANTATIC and takes only 15 seconds to make it into flour.

IMO... Flour salt is better as it mixes better and you're not constantly stirring to get the salt off the bottom of the pyrex.

Just my 2 cents....

Whitley, I agree with you. I floured my salt for a very long time. The baits come out softer, more durable and are much easier to pour, but they are opaque. I really like the light to be able to shine through my baits and am messing around with different types of salt. Why use popcorn salt over table salt?

Why use popcorn salt over table salt?

The larger the crystals, the faster the fall. Popcorn salt is a fine crystal, whereas floured salt is a powder. Popcorn salt will allow some light to pass through, popcorn salt- some light, and sugar flakes with a little salt added for weight, more light.

Sugar flakes melted and in clear plastic look milky white, so it won't allow the same translucent appearance of using crystal salt and colored plastic. I think the process of adding crystal salt involves an automated mixture as plastic pours in into the mold - a process very difficult for handpours to duplicate and to be able to have the exact amount of salt for every lure.

I routinely use popcorn salt in my "salted" baits and would not switch back to floured salt. My colors are far more true and the popcorn salt stays in suspension as well as floured but way better than table salt.

I also use the "flakes" from Senkosam with my salt for a far softer and easier poured bait. The reviews have been great from out in the field and have had several side-by-side "in the boat" knockouts of original senkos. The latest was a 15 to 1 catch ratio of my sticks vs GY senkos...

Additionally, popcorn salt takes no further flouring or other manipulation, just open the pack and go...

Jim

Bassn1: I tried to add some garlic salt to my plastic once. It did have a pretty strong smell, but to me the garlic smelled burnt. I added the garlic right before I did my fianl 30 second heat. Maybe if you wait to add the garlic last it may work. That is on my agenda of things to try. Let me know if it works. Saint.

Hi guys,

I have been using Del's ultra fine salt... it seems like table salt to me but I like the bigger chunks compared to floured or otherwise. Anyone use it? Like it? Your thoughts? The shipping is crazy though; if the stuff is just plain old salt (which it very well might be)., I'd love to know.

Shawn

Ryan,

I agree, it does work well... not a whole bunch of talk about it on here which I was surprised about. The shipping is high (I know that's not Del's fault) but it's tough paying 2 - 3 times the cost of an item just to ship it.

I have what I feel is a very good formula (which includes Del's ultra fine)for sticks so I hate to stop using it but going to have to because of the shipping cost.

Thanks for the input..... much appreciated.

- Shawn

Anyone ever try Buttered popcorn salt in there lures? I just got back from sams, and they had a small box of popcorn salt, and when I opened the box it was buttered salt. Noware on the outside of the box did it say anything about being buttered. Who knows, mabey bass like butter flavor! :grin: