kbkindle

wooden lure patterns????

kbkindle here : is there a place that you can buy lure patterns or is this a kind of thing what ever comes to mind. iam looking for ideas of lures to make. that i use witch are 2 to 8 ft depths short body as big o's or bandit 100 or rapala fat free fry models some tight wiggle some wide wobble but want to paint them different than stock colors the way i catch fish here in my home lakes 75 % of time lure has to hit bottom. later in fall suspending lures work. if i want a top water bite buzzbait all year i dont know why but a spinnerbait bait is a hard bite and i have wore out my arm trying kb.

You can trace a bait that you are fond of, you can print a pricture of a bait that you like after sizing it with software, you can draw out a shape that you like, you can print a fish or similar shape out and use that...lots of options. I would suggest that you start with a shape from a proven lure. Once you have this down then go from there. You might try luremaking101, they have some stencils there for musky baits that you could resize for bass if that's what you are after.

Jed

KB:

I've just really got started building cranks, but you can definately just trace a pattern of a bait you like. I definately recommend increasing it a bit because you're going to decrease the size in the shaping of the bait (e.g., cutting, sanding).

I am trying to create my own shapes right now. I've got about three, but one that I've really settled on is kind of a cross between a Rapala Fat Rap and an old Mann's 15+. It's a shade over 2" in length without a lip when in it's final form before sealing.

I create all of my templates in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, but you can get by with much cheaper programs. The main thing is to make sure you are dealing with something that can do vector based graphics to do the initial drawing. That's why I really like Illustrator. You don't have to have the lastest versions, either. Any old version should work very, very well. You can pick up used copies on Ebay for little or nothing if you're willing to get a copy about three versions old.

-Danny

I have some patterns in my lure gallery: http://www.pbase.com/sebarau/mylures u're welcome to use them as a guide or u can save them to ur puter & resize them to suit you. I use CorelDraw to draw them but those in galery are just jpegs. (Like Dovwel said) any old version of vector based graphic program is a great help in drawing templates pattern (well there's a learning curve for vector base programs)

A neat trick to copy existing lure pattern is to just snap a photo of it's profile square on then import that photo into ur vector graphics program & trace out the outline (take the pic of lure against a clean background helps). U can of course grab some pics from the web as well. After u have the outline traced, u can tweak the shape/size to ur hearts delight. (see my Lure Shape variation post) I'd recommand u tweak the shape/profile to ur own designs as I do not encourage copying. Afterall you're going to build lure from scratch so why not ur own original input be put to it too.

Here's a search link to some free vector base programs

Have fun thinkering.

• Like 1