AaronM

Fun Time Fishing On My New Kayak!

Hi,

I bought my first kayak the other day. I decided to start off with a little cheap one and work my way up. I purchased it on sale at Dunham's Sporting Goods. It was normally $300, but it was on sale for $200. I bought it right up. It is a coleman and is 10' long.

I usually fish off a dock, but the space that you can fish in is extremely limited compared to the large lake. The lake is called Lake Macatawa and is an inland lake off of Lake Michigan. The lake is about 100 yards from my house, so I lugged my little kayak on there. I loaded up the kayak with my fishing pole, life jacket, tackle box, and sandals.

I was all ready to go. I put the fishing pole up inside the kayak and went off. I stopped a couple times to fish, but I didn't catch anything. On the way back, I got smart, lol. I attached the fishing pole to lay behind me going out the back with about 15' of line into the water. I had a little Rapala on it (my homemade lures don't work right yet). I was just chugging along and forgot about the fishing pole being attached with clips behind me. The sun was setting and the water was glass. I was about 100 yards from the beach I took off of. Then BAM! My fishing pole yanked over to one side. I though I snagged some weeds. I unhooked it and reeled in to my surprise a nice 15" large mouth. I put the lure back in the water and casted a few times with no luck. I attached the pole to the back of the kayak again and starting paddling. I heard a little twitch, so I reeled in the lure and found a little fish that was about 4" long. I laughed at the fact that my lure was about 2" long. It had a small mouth and all three treble hooks were stuck in his mouth. I got him off and attached the rod again to the back and started paddling. About 10 seconds later BAM! I had another large mouth that was about 13" long. It was getting dark and I didn't want my parents to worry about me so I couldn't stay and fish longer. I wish I would've!

It was very fun! I can't wait until I can make a lure that has great action that I can catch a fish with.

Have a great day!

Aaron

Sounds like a great time Aaron! I've had the same thing happen in my canoe, on the marshes here. It's a blast!

One thing (this is the "overly cautious dad ,in me, talking) I'm hoping that life jacket isn't being stuffed inside your hull, but being worn properly :wink: Kayaks are tricky..especially when you're wrastlin' them big 'ol Bass!

Take care, and keep catchin' 'em! Bart

WARNING KAYAK FISHING IS ADDICTIVE!!!

I have a malibu Xfactor, OK Scrambler and Mainstream Tropic and am gettign a Malibu Extreme here in a few weeks i hoipe. Sold my Malibu Pro Explorer and my Cobra Explorer(s). VERY ADDICTING.

Check out these sites:

www.plasticnavy.com

www.yakfishing.com

www.kayak4fish.com

www.sdkayakfishing.com

www.bigwatersedge.com

www.kayaksportfishing.com

www.kayaksandiego.com

www.kayakfishinggear.com

www.kayakfishingstuff.com

www.fishingkayaks.net

i know so many more they just arnt coming to me :D