Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OUTDOORSMAN

trying to get started

5 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of trying to paint my own crankbaits. I will be buying ones that all you have to do is paint and assemble. But I have no idea what all I will need. If I paint with a water base paint what type of paint booth will I need ? or do I even need one. How do I apply a top clear coat ? with a brush or spray ? What type of air brush will be a good starter brush. I already make my own lead weighted lures so I have some idea about lure making.

Thank you,

Hi there -

I too am just getting started. I had some old lures that needed repainting, so I said what the heck. I didn't want to invest much money.

I picked up an el cheapo airbrush at Harbor Freight for $10. Single action, but actually paints pretty well. Cant do fine lines without stencils, but it puts on nice base coats, fades and speckles (when desired) well.

I use a CO2 tank (I'm a homebrewer too) as my air source.

Walmart for paints (44 cents/tube of acrylic) and Devcon 2Ton epoxy ($2).

I dilute my paints with water, airbrush them on the lure, stick on some eyes and apply Devcon with a plastic fork. My first few have come out ok by my standards. I'll post some pictures soon...

I didn't want to invest much money at first, but I am off and runnning for less than $20. My airbrush may not last a long time or be remotely close to the best, but it works...

Having an air source may be the biggest investment.

Also, I just paint outside or in my garage, I put some newspaper behind the area I'm painting in.

Now, I just need to improve a little.

What I've got has been reliable so far and doesn't show any signs of not working - it's not like I go to the garage and pray that I can rely on it to work.

In a local tournament here in Columbus last weekend , I had the high total with 13 lb on 5 fish on a custom painted crank made with $20 equipment. Next highest total was 7 lb. Everyone else was fishing spinnerbaits.

Hope someone else can chime in for you.

Good luck in the tournaments...

I think nim_evets is trying to say you can use almost anything you want. It is how much you want to spend. I started with paint cans!!! I have three baits I still use the cans on. Because they are my best sellers and I cant get the same results from the airbrush. After all is said up to date I have over $1500 in tools for lure making and it grows almost everyday.

I also started with the cheep Harbor Freight airbrush at first. Now I have 2 Passche VL airbrushes and 1 touch-up spray gun for primer and sealer. Unless if you are loaded and rolling in it, I think everyone needs to start somewhere.