BB

crankbait shapes

There used to be a person that frequented this board,that asked tons of questions and received alot of help,info and crank bait patterns and then took them as his own and went commercial on us. We share alot of info here, the majority of it learned thou trial and error, when someone takes the info given for free and uses it for their personal gain I guess it kinda makes the blood boil. Imagine having the gall to manufacture and name a bait exactly what the originator of the bait had named it. To me that takes balls, big hairy dog balls!

I see both sides here, regardless, BB is a TU member & deserves some common courtesy, regardless of any affiliations.

I dont wanna shoot TU in the foot, but if theres any information you dont want to be made public, then dont post it, or use a generalization instead of your exact pattern.

We (the mods) cant forsee & judge each member on thier "alleged" use of ethics, so use your own judgement in what you share.

I have a sheet of patterns I was gonna post as a page for practicing paint schemes, its not exactly informative, but they are shape patterns.

Good luck.

ratltrap_157.gif

popper_207.gif

jitterbug_591.gif

ratltrap_157.gif

popper_207.gif

jitterbug_591.gif

ratltrap_157.gif

popper_207.gif

jitterbug_591.gif

ratltrap_157.gif

popper_207.gif

jitterbug_591.gif

ratltrap_157.gif

popper_207.gif

jitterbug_591.gif

ratltrap_157.gif

popper_207.gif

jitterbug_591.gif

ratltrap_157.gif

popper_207.gif

jitterbug_591.gif

ratltrap_157.gif

popper_207.gif

jitterbug_591.gif

1596_thumb.attach

1597_thumb.attach

1598_thumb.attach

you didnt offend me...

& your post way back on crank angles is one of the most comprehensive topics on here, you put alot of thought into it & it obviously benefeited the group :wink:

Whats bothering me with this topic is that its gone off topic.

And the person that keeps being brought up hasnt the ability to defend himself here.

I havnt really had the chance to compare & even so, its speculation.

Were always discussing how tough it is to come up with a "Truly" unique bait that dont mimic or resemble something already in existence, whats the difference in this case?

I, myself feel differently & try alot of unconventional and wierd shapes, but this has been a common discussion, especially in regards to patent issues.

Im not defending someone who would do that, but again, this person in particular cannot defend himself here & its unfair to him. Take it up directly, or in another forum where he has access.

Lets get back on topic now :D

First off, my apologies to the members. My remark was out of line.

Now, on to the business at hand. I don't have any patterns on my computer but I did recall a source that had a few.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/download/crankbaitcarvingpatterns.pdf

I also use this pattern for cutting various lips from Lexan:

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/download/making_crankbait_lips.pdf

As you my notice, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the pages.

Your at the right site to learn how! I started last year and learned a bunch right here on this site. A good idea for a rainy day is to go back and read everything on the site, it is packed with very good information.

Just ignore us grumpy old men when we get our panties in a wad! :wink:

i will do that.i have started a few days ago.but i ran out of disk to save what i wanted.i filled up 3 or 4.i will have to pick up a new pack of disk.i cant believe.the tips and the work you all do.lapalas baits and others are assume.i cant believe he does that with a can.but when i get better i cant wait to show you a few of my good lures.

BB,

My suggestion would be that you start with a flat sided bait. Just find a picture of a flat bait that you like and trace it out. When you start "rounding" bodies it is very hard to keep everything straight. Do a search on the web for Flat Sided Crankbaits. You should get plenty of sites to get ideas from. I would start with balsa because it is very easy to work with and is very forgiving when you weight it. Then you could go to other woods if you would like.

Skeeter

BB,

I just started not too long ago and I got all my information off of this site. I just went back and read post that had headings about things I wanted to find out and I also did searches and visted the How-To site at the top of the page.

Basically my first lure was from this group of postings.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1803&highlight=dbait

There I found not only an outline for a flatsided lure (one that's easy to do for the first one), but also an outline for the bill.

Good luck and will be waiting to see your work.