color schemes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Minky

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:34 PM

hey guys im new and im only 14 yet i love making my own lures. if you guys have any advice tell me. any way i was wondering what are some of the color shemes to put on lure to catch different fish? thanks.

#2 Tally

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:33 PM

look at a bass pro magazine or go on-line and just look at the different colors of cranks that are out there. Then use your imagination and create your own.

#3 Tom S

Tom S

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:36 PM

It depends on where you fish and what you are after.But my advice is keep it simple to start,try copying an exsisting pattern that you know catches fish.

#4 dvowell

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

I'm still pretty new to making hardbaits myself, but I'm with Tally. Bass Pro Shops is a wonderful resource to get ideas on colors/patterns.

Think about what is working in your area and what type of forage the fish (whatever species you are targeting) feed on and go from there.

A very simple pattern that will catch fish in clear water is just to paint your bait pearl white and put a green stripe down it's back. You'd be amazed at how great some of the simple patterns work!

Have fun and it's great to see a teenager on the forum and making their own baits! Best of luck!