Celticav

Just a thought

OK, again soft plastics are not my area, but I was curious about something. The other day at a friend of mine's shop I saw one of his workers using a plastic welder. It looked like a double barrel caulk gun and seemed to work by forcing the material down the barrels which were equipted with heating elements. I didn't think much about it at the time and wish I would have asked him more about it. Has any of you ever worked with one of these, can you go into more detail on how they work, and could it be used as an injector to shoot soft plastic into 2 peice molds? Sorry if this is a really stupid suggestion/question, I was just curious about it, could it function (or be "engineered" to function) like a hand-held production pot? :huh:

Good thought,

I've used one before, but the one I used dont function that way.

The one I used has a forced hot air nozzle & you hold the plastic rod in your hand, sort of like brazing.

I've used an industrilal vinyl welder too, but it uses teflon coated platens to heat the 2 parts simultaneously & then uses pressure to push & hold the 2 parts together while it cools.

:lol: I heard this before!! Yes it seems some plastic welders would work for this. I have not seen advances in the tech. , i'm going by what I have seen used in the past. But as any one from the welding field knows, this stuff changes almost as fast as the computer industy.

The problem with it is this , if you need to be feeding a large amount of plastic per use the surenge is out and the plastic welders are for the most part are to. but as in any thing there were hopper style units that would work but would be to bulky to use to fill the limited space that molds have. The units that I saw in use were about 5-10 pound with out the plastic!!!! Two hands for sure and none to move or hold molds. :cry: So unless we move back to the sarting block I think we will be kicking this dead horse awhile. Maybe tech. has caught up with these units and someone can find one that would work to make our hobby easier!!!